Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Essential Technical Books

Essential Technical Books

Not in book form, but there have been lots and lots of very useful and technically astute articles published in the camera magazines over the years (just one example - Paul Hansma and Stephen Peterson's articles in Darkroom Techniques on optimal focusing of the view camera). Rather than keeping stacks and stacks of these, I periodically (once a year or more) go through them and tear out articles that have helped and/or or of interest. I've put these into a binder, categorized by subject/topic (e.g. Film Development, Print, Mounting, etc.). So this has become one of my principal technical "books."
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

I just received Way Beyond Monochrome and it has some really neat stuff in it that I haven't seen in the above. Nothing revolutionary, but very useful!

Playboy. All the girls where shot with an 8x10 ;-)

Using the Large Format View Camera by Larry Stone.

Jim Stone wrote a book called User's Guide to the View Camera. This is one of the three that I recommend.

steve simmons

I would add: The Edge of Darkness by the late Barry Thornton. He was all about sharpness. The book is autobiographical, thoughtful, full of superb examples and technique.
    --Rich Keating

Light - Science and Magic (The best book on any aspect of photographic technique I have ever read)

Using the View Camera (great introduction except for the discussion of the Scheimpflug Principle)

The Film Developers Cookbook (Useful, though I don't agree with some of the generalizations)

The Camera & The Negative

Beyond the Zone System (Wonderful discussion of image value manipulation, a shame I haven't got the time or wherewithal to assemble all that equipment and perform all those tests)

I own a copy of the latest edition Baisc Photographic Materials and Processes and it appears that this latest version is inferior to previous ones. It serves to whet the apetite for more complete treatments of various topics (photometry, photographic chemistry, etc.) but its own treatments aren't particularly good, IMO, and this is probably the fault of the editing.

Also "Alice in wonderland" and "Through the looking glass" by Lewis Carroll.

Dave Karp

Jim Stone's User's Guide to the View Camera

Simmons' Using the View Camera

Adams' The Negative, The Print (and why not throw in The Camera to complete the set?)

Thornton's The Edge of Darkness - Just a wonderful book (and perhaps the most readable how-to photo book)

Ctein's Post Exposure

Anchell's and Troop's The Film Developing Cookbook

Anchell's The Darkroom Cookbook

My notes and the handouts from John Sexton's printing workshop

For beginners and occasional reference:

Suess' Mastering Black and White Photography (great for a beginner's first book)

Graves' Elements of Black and White Printing and The Zone System for 35mm Photographers (not really only for 35mm photographers and a clear concise and effective explanation of the subject and how to use the system without needing a densitomiter - please no flames!!)

I would only add:

"The Art of Photography" by Bruce Barnbaum.

Three Cheers to Phil Davis! His ability to communicate is simply marvelous.

Cheers!

I'd add one "Image Clarity" can't remember the author but it is mentioned in other threads here. The only book I know of that pulls together all the elements of the 'sharpest' print.