Thread: lightjet or ultrachrome k3 (7800) for BW +mount

lightjet or ultrachrome k3 (7800) for BW +mount

I am looking for opinions about how to proceed with an image that was selected for a show.

I have a digital file of a B&W image that is about 90% pure black. I need to print and mount the image.
    Either way I will have to deal with a non-local shop. I have about one week to get the image printed so I can get it to the framer.

Which of the following (all things being equal, which I realize they aren't), would produce the prints with deep, true, blacks. Sine the image is so black, it would look odd to be off-black if you know what I mean.
    The image is about 22x22inches.
    1) an epson 7800 k3 inks on glossy or matt.
    2) a lightjet on fugi crystal archive color paper, glossy or matt.

And,
    3) how would you recommend mounting them. My options are cold mounting via the shop that prints the image (sticky board mounting) or drymounting (which I have sucessfully done with the lightjet prints before) or some other thing you recommend. I have no idea how to mount the epson prints, b/c I have never handled one.

Thanks

Doug Dolde

I have printed b/w on my Epson 2400 on Ultrasmooth Fine Art paper. The results were fantastic and the print had a silky glow to it. If you use the sheet paper it's something like 325 gsm so thick enough to mount with linen hinges. Or you coud dry mount, either way works good.

I have had a few b/w prints done on the Lightjet but I think the Epson is better especially since you can use matte fine art paper.

Michael E. Gordon

I think seeing the image would be very helpful in order to provide an informed response. Not every paper works for every image (and vice versa).

I called Photo Craft and they are going to print on a luster paper and send me a proof. They felt pretty confident that the results on thier lightjet would meet my needs. We shall see.

Digital Fine Art Printing

Re: lightjet or ultrachrome k3 (7800) for BW +mount

What ever happened? What did you think of the luster print?

I print with the epson 7800&9600 and I'm NOT a big fan of doing luster paper for exhibition prints. Or did you mean a luster C print... like N surface or something?

My favorite paper for B&W pigment ink prints is the Crane Museo Silver Rag. It fits in the glossy category, but has a surface very similar to a traditional gelatin silver print.

My second favorite is to print on the heavyweight matte rag papers.

I would love to know what you did.

Best,