Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod permit contacts - Karnataka state, India

Tripod permit contacts - Karnataka state, India

Is there someone here from Karnataka state in India who can help answer a question for me?

I have heard that to use a tripod for photography at certain locations that I need to contact the Department of Archeology to apply for a permit. In fact, many places I visit require a permit, and I prefer to use 4x5 LF equipment which rather requires that I use a tripod. However, when I look at the list of deparments, secretaries, and ministers for Karnataka state, I cannot find such a department.

So the question is: Whom do I contact for a permit to use a tripod when I visit Karnataka locales that require such a thing?

Thank you for any and all direction/comments/suggestions.

Re: Tripod permit contacts - Karnataka state, India

Although I have no first-hand experience, travel sites recommend you "contact the nearest Government of India Tourist Office."
    List is here: http://www.tourindia.com/htm/goitoadr.htm.

Thank you, Hiro. I will take a look into this.

People in-country have suggested it was a different department. But maybe this is why I wasn't "getting any traction" on the topic?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro
    Although I have no first-hand experience, travel sites recommend you "contact the nearest Government of India Tourist Office."
    List is here: http://www.tourindia.com/htm/goitoadr.htm.

4x5 Camera Toting Tourist Nitish Kanabar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Perez
    Is there someone here from Karnataka state in India who can help answer a question for me?

I have heard that to use a tripod for photography at certain locations that I need to contact the Department of Archeology to apply for a permit. In fact, many places I visit require a permit, and I prefer to use 4x5 LF equipment which rather requires that I use a tripod. However, when I look at the list of deparments, secretaries, and ministers for Karnataka state, I cannot find such a department.

So the question is: Whom do I contact for a permit to use a tripod when I visit Karnataka locales that require such a thing?

Thank you for any and all direction/comments/suggestions.
    Most sites will require you to purchase an entry ticket. A tripod/photography permit can be purchased on location when you purchase your entry ticket. This permit will usually be valid only for that site. Do be aware that some palaces and religious sites strictly enforce a no-tripod (or no indoors photography) policy.

If you are visiting Bangalore, then I'd strongly recommend visiting the Karnataka State Tourism Office in Bangalore. They conduct guided tours and the tour guides are knowledgable and friendly. They should be able to arrange for any necessary permits.

Another recommendation: Most hotels can arrange local guides for you. Hiring one of these can prove to be worthwhile. Ask the guide for references and guide-permit before you hire him and negotiate your price upfront. Interview a few guides and go with whoever you feel most comfortable. I'm from India and I do hire a guide when I visit a new place.
    Nitish Kanabar

Nitish, thank you for the kind feedback and suggestions.

When I visit on business, we have a driver and car from a reputable source that also provides tours. In this way I have no difficulties reaching Mysore, Somnathpura, Belur, Halebeedu, and other such locations.

I have checked at each location to see if I can use a tripod. What remains the prime issue for me has been a permit. Sometimes there is no entry fee at a site, just people overseeing the locale. It is they who ask for a permit.

It sounds like I need to check with the Karnataka State Tourism Office.

This is great. I feel like I have an avenue I can pursue. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitish Kanabar
    ... If you are visiting Bangalore, then I'd strongly recommend visiting the Karnataka State Tourism Office in Bangalore. They conduct guided tours and the tour guides are knowledgable and friendly. They should be able to arrange for any necessary permits...

Hi Chris, I have photographed in South India and in Karnataka (e.g., the ruins at Hampi) and any of the archeological survey sites will require you to get a permit. I would not advise you to hope that buying a ticket as you go into these sites will let you use a tripod. They will let you use a handheld camera.

If you have friends 'on the ground', get them working on this well ahead of time. Write to the archeological survey to get permission to photograph at the sites you are interested in - you can mention that this is non-commercial work and is work that will be done with a large still camera and not a film camera. If you are planning on visitng different states, you might have to write to different offices. You will get a letter that you basically wave at the guards that will let you photograph where you like. In my experience, this works much better than trying to purchase a camera or tripod permit esp. if you would like to spend some time. I suspect the rules are to prevent commercial use of the monuments esp. film crews (or at least ensure the monuments get some money for being used thus), but the average guard associates any tripod with commercial use. Good luck and do give me a holler if you would like any further information or help.

Cheers, DJ

Thanks! This is good information.

Where would a person find the address or contact information for the appropriate acheological survey office? When I looked at the on-line listing for Karnataka States I failed to uncover such an office.

Quote Originally Posted by N Dhananjay
    Hi Chris, I have photographed in South India and in Karnataka (e.g., the ruins at Hampi) and any of the archeological survey sites will require you to get a permit. I would not advise you to hope that buying a ticket as you go into these sites will let you use a tripod. They will let you use a handheld camera.

If you have friends 'on the ground', get them working on this well ahead of time. Write to the archeological survey to get permission to photograph at the sites you are interested in - you can mention that this is non-commercial work and is work that will be done with a large still camera and not a film camera. If you are planning on visitng different states, you might have to write to different offices...

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Perez
    Thanks! This is good information.

Where would a person find the address or contact information for the appropriate acheological survey office? When I looked at the on-line listing for Karnataka States I failed to uncover such an office.
    Hi Chris. Here is an address for the office in Bangalore, Karnataka. Superintending Archaeologist, Archaeological Survey of India, Bangalore Circle, 5th Floor, F Wing. Kendriya Sadan. 17th Main Road, Koramangala, Bangalore-560034 Telephone: 663340. I'll try and cross check if the address is still correct. Let me know if you require any other information or help. Cheers, DJ

DJ, you're a jem. Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by N Dhananjay
    Hi Chris. Here is an address for the office in Bangalore, Karnataka. Superintending Archaeologist, Archaeological Survey of India, Bangalore Circle, 5th Floor, F Wing. Kendriya Sadan. 17th Main Road, Koramangala, Bangalore-560034 Telephone: 663340.

Chris,

A site to explore for some really great images in the Bangalore area is the Banyan tree outside of Bangalore. It is not as famous as several other Banyans and AFAIK doesn't have that many visitors. It will take you an hour to 90 minutes to get to it but it is well worth the trip. I've beent hre twice, once there was no one else there and the other time one family. My info is dated though as the last time I was there was 1997.