Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desperately Seeking Classic 135-165mm Wide Angles

Desperately Seeking Classic 135-165mm Wide Angles

Time for another unusual request...

I am working on a multi-part article on "semi-wide" angle lenses - that is, lenses that cover 80 - 100 degrees. I have several such lenses in my possession in the 150mm (+/- 10%) range, but would like to include a few more classic wide angle lenses to make the article as complete as possible.

The lenses I am seeking are:

135mm f6.3 Kodak Wide Field Ektar in Supermatic Shutter

159mm f9.5 Wollensak Wide Angle Raptar in Rapax (or Alphax) Shutter

160mm f5.6 Wollensak Pro Raptar in Rapax Shutter

6½" (165mm) f8 Goerz Wide Angle Dagor in Compur, Rapax, or ?? Shutter

I wish to borrow clean samples of these lenses in functional shutters for a week or two over the next couple months. I know it is a lot to ask, but if anyone is willing to loan me their precious lenses I will, of course, treat them with the utmost care and respect and pay insured shipping both ways and make sure you get a sample copy of the magazine featuring your lens.

Please contact me via email if you have any of the lenses listed above and would be willing to loan them to me for the purpose described. I know it seems like an unusual request, and a lot to ask, but I'd really like to include these lenses in my article and just can't afford to buy every lens under the sun.

Thanks in advance,
    Kerry

I have a 135 Wide Field Ektar in Supermatic shutter.

Just let me know if I can be of assistance.

Cheers!

Sent an email that I can help out with a 6.5" WA Dagor in an unnamed in your post Ilex #3

I can loan you a 159mm f9.5 Wollensak. It is a postwar coated item.

Well not that they are classic lenses, but weren't the 135mm Optar and 127mm Ektar put on about-a million cameras? Why not a mention of these two that most newbee 4x5 shooters wind up owning with their first camera? I'm sure their responsible for more pictures then most others.

Just to put the idea out there a B&L Protar V would be a reasonable fit into your scheme. My own is in barrel and uncoated but I'd bet there is a single coat in shutter avaiable for testing.

Cheers

Wayne - Well not that they are classic lenses, but weren't the 135mm Optar and 127mm Ektar put on about-a million cameras? Why not a mention of these two that most newbee 4x5 shooters wind up owning with their first camera? I'm sure their responsible for more pictures then most others.

Wayne,

Nothing against the 135mm Optar and 127mm Ektar (my first ever LF lens), but the focus of the article is lenses that cover 5x7 (or greater) with at least 80 degrees of actual coverage. That excludes the 135mm Optar and 127mm Ektar, which are both Tessar-types and barely cover 4x5 at infinity.

Kerry

John - Just to put the idea out there a B&L Protar V would be a reasonable fit into your scheme. My own is in barrel and uncoated but I'd bet there is a single coat in shutter avaiable for testing.

John,

I have decided to limit the article to post-WWII, coated lenses that either came in a factory shutters, or are a direct fit in a standard No. 1 or No. 0 shutter. Even with these limits, the field is quite large.

While I have owned, at one time, post-war, coated B&L Series V Protars in the 113mm and 183mm focal lengths - both in factory shutters (Compur and Supermatic, respectively), I have never seen a post-war, coated sample of the 141mm focal length. I used to own one of these in a shutter as well, but it was a pre-war, uncoated sample in a Volute shutter. As this focal length was originally intended for the 6½ x 8½ format, I suspect they ceased production once that format fell out of favor - well before WWII.

As my original target 150mm lenses, I don't want to stray too far from that focal length for the article. So, no 120mm or 180mm lenses.

Kerry

Thanks to all who have responded by email. I am sorting through the requests and will contact everyone offline as soon as possible.

Kerry

Thanks again to all who have responded. I have a 135mm WF Ektar on the way, and possibly a 159mm f9.5 Wollensak.

I still need a 160mm f5.6 Wollensak Pro Raptar. I have been offered a 6½" f8 Wide Angle in an Ilex shutter, but if possible would prefer one in a Compur or Rapax shutter as I already have lens boards that will accept these shutters.

Kerry