Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lens for Botanicals: 4x5

Lens for Botanicals: 4x5

What would be a good lens for close work ? This image was made with a Wisner Technical Field, and a 150 APO Sironar S. The ratio is right around to 1:1

If I were to shoot with a real macro lens, would I see a dramatic improvement over the Sironar-S at 3x enlargment: an 11x14 B&W print ?

I had a 180 Fujinon A for a while, but sold it when I made my brief foray into 8x10. The Wisner has over 450mm of bellows draw, so I could get more than 1:1 with it, if I were to get another one again. Alternately, I could get something like a 150 G-Claron.

I don't need a "flat field" lens per se, but would a real macro lens give demonstrably better performance in the rendering of 3-D objects for the kind of images I intend to make ? It seems that a 150mm or 180mm lens would produce no fore-shortening, while anything shorter will probably do just that.

Many thanks !

Ken, I just started doing macro photography, and I do not have a lot of experience to offer. I did buy a Nikon 120mm lens designed specifically for macro work. It uses Nikon's ED glass and is optimized for a 1:1 image size. I have done 1:3 and the negs look good, but it is not easy at that magnification. I also have the Nikon SW 120mm lens and both lenses are very different.

I suspect at 8x10 or 11x14 enlargements you will not see much difference between the two lenses. However, the differences may be quiet noticeable at 16x20 and larger. Because I have never benched marked the two lenses, I real am only guessing. On thing for sure is that my negs are extremely sharp with the macro lens.

Steven,

Do you suspect that if you only make contact prints, there would be no discernible difference at all? Thanks.

Stephen,

My apologies for misspelling your name.

Dan, you mentioned reversing elements in reference to the macro sironar. Do these lenses' front and rear elements allow reversing in use? How do you stop down, cock, and trip the shutter if the front element is now inside the camera? I think I'm missing something here.

Thanks.

The real benefit to a macro lens is when you get to 1:1 and closer. The Fuji 240A would be a great choice and would allow you to be closer than 1:1. That would be my choice.

steve simmons

Mike,
    I have a 210 macro sironar. The front and rear elements are interchangable in the shutter, depending on what magnification you are using.

"Dan, you mentioned reversing elements in reference to the macro sironar. Do these lenses' front and rear elements allow reversing in use? "

The old Macro Sironar 210 and 300mm required that the elements be reversed as was indicated above.

Their replacements, the Apo Macro Sironar 120 and 180 do not require that the elements be reversed and are corrected for a greater range of magnifications.

The Apo Macro Sironar Digital also does not equire that the elements be reversed.

With the old Macro Sironars you could reverse the elements at any time, depending on the image ratio desired. You just unscrewed them from the shutter and switched their position in the shutter. A pictograph on the front and rear cell indicated which went where at different magnifications. At 1:1 it made no difference how the cells were placed in the shutter.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to reverse the elements of the Apo Sironar S and end up with better macro results?

"Just out of curiosity, is it possible to reverse the elements of the Apo Sironar S and end up with better macro results?"

No.