Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info Boyer lens 6.8 210 Beryl shutter mount

Info Boyer lens 6.8 210 Beryl shutter mount

Hi All

I have infront of me the 6.8 210 boyer Beryl in a barrel mount (heavy brass) and a spare compur 1 shutter and the cells appear to be a straight fit. I say appears as the barrel has a built in hood making it more difficult to get comparison of barrel lenght, I checked the distance between the rear and the aperture blades it matches both barrel and shutter. Checking the front to aperture blades is more difficult.

Questions :-
    Has anyone mounted this lens in a shutter?

I have read that the rear cell to aperture distance must be maintained,
    Can I assume if this is correct the front cell will also match?

Anyone have a serial number list for boyer? the lens I have is single but
    strongly coated serial number 780**2.

Coverage seems good dagor design (apparently) reflections match, doesn't
    look the same the inner cells are smaller like an Angulon/W A dagor but
    not as extreme.

Also Wollensak 8 1/4 (210) f6.8 Graphic raptar wide field lens + Goodkin special is it straight fit
    into an Alphax 3? If so has anyone got one I could buy, I am in the UK and the only ones I found on Ebay are from US sellers who refuse to sell to the UK ; (

Thanks again ( with the answers given on previous posts I've mounted a number of lenses which I now enjoy using)

Sven

Hi

Just to make it clear its an Alphax 3 shutter I need as I have the Graphic raptar already.

Thanks again

Sven

Ah, are you the one that outbid both Dan and me last week on the Beryl on eBay? If so, you got it at a good price.
    Dan Fromm will hopefully chime in soon, since he seems to be some sort of expert on the Boyer glass.
    I've got no further information than that your lens is (probably) a convertible double anastigmat with a coverage of 85 degrees.
    Most important to get right IMHO is that you get the distance between front and back elements right, and it doesn't seem to matter much where the aperture blades are positioned between the correctly spaced elements. Is there a way you can measure this, where you would have to include the built-in hood in your calculations? Disclaimer: This is just a suggestion, not expert knowledge.

Hi

Yes it was me, its cleaner than in the sellers Pic. On coverage can't find the edge of the circle so it has enough movement for me. Contrast looks good, no film used yet. Your right about correctly spaced elements, thats how I've been sure in the past. The built in hood portion of the barrel may come off which will make things easier. I'll have ago later. With cells in the shutter the image on the ground glass looks no different but I wouldn't expect to see if the cells were out.
    Boyer made lenses in shutters as well as Process lens, so lets hope they were as kind to the LF community as Schneider. Mr Cad had a boyer convertable in a shutter at focus this year.
    Any way its raining now and has been since I packed up shooting deep in the woods.

Thanks

Sven

Hmm, I have a small Boyer in a very large shutter - I'm trying to remount it in a smaller shutter for reasons of convenience and have found it would fit in a #00 shutter, so it seems the Boyer company did think of the LF users. You might be just so lucky with yours.

HI

With a bit more thought I measured the total barrel lenght (including the hood) and then the distance/depth between the front cell and the hood rim, subtracting this gave me the measurement I needed. With the cells in the shutter its match ; ) so now to make the aperture scale and get something on film. Who knows Boyer may have once have issued the Beryl line in a shutter, without catalogues /brochures its lost to the ether.

Thanks

Sven

I know Dan Fromm has or had access to pages about Boyer lenses, including four pages on the Beryl. Perhaps you can ask him directly or wait till he turns up here by himself. This is what he sent me:

"The 90 covers 164 mm at infinity. Is convertible, the rear cell is 160/13. Focus wide open, there is no focus shift on stopping down. Beryls are perfectly symmetrical, can be used in copying machines as well as on cameras. 6 elements in two groups, as we knew. The element‚s curvatures are [outside] () )( (( [diaphragm]. I think this is the classic Dagor layout."

HTH, Norm

Sven, you rat! So you're the one who outbid me (permissible) and my friend Norm (a criminal act if ever there was one).

You have a modern coated f/6.8 Dagor. I've never known what size shutter the 210 Beryl went into, so your news that the cells go into a #1 is very welcome. Also a little surprising, as my 210/7.7 Beryl S's cells don't.

These lenses were, it seems, normally offered in barrel, with "in shutter" as an option. At least, that's how Boyer's US distributor offered them.

I'm on vacation now, will report Boyer's claimed coverage (at unspecified aperture) after I return home. IIRC, it is 368 mm. I hope this corresponds to 85 degrees.

AFAIK there's no official serial number vs. date list for Boyers. The highest s/n I've seen is a little over 900k. The earliest coated one I've seen was around 600k.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

p.s., it appears that my vacation is going to be rained on. There's been a drought here. On the way down we passed churches whose signboards said "Pray for rain." So I may be shooting through air with considerable water mixed in. Oh, well, another reason not to worry too much about whether my lenses are really, really good.

Hi Sven,

I've done that, too. Mine screw directly in an old Ibsor, the later Prontor are different and the cell-spacing isn't the same. So check this out when remounting. It's a good lens with great coverage.

Update

Hi and Thanks for your answers

Made some intial tests on out of date Polaroid only 3.25 x4.25 and on a rainy day. Just the house across the road from my dry studio (raining nearly none stop since saturday). The lens looks good even on out of date Polaroid, beating the 150 F4.5 Xenar that is/was in the shutter.
    The shutter is a rim set Syncro compur 1 from the 60's, incindently it doesn't fit the sync compur that has my 120 F6.8 Angulon of the same vintage. Tests on film will come later, first I'll have to find space for the Super chromega E (Big 5x7 Enlarger) as its on the floor in my rather narrow darkroom.

Thanks again

Sven