Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x5 roll film adapter

4x5 roll film adapter

I've searched around a bit and can't find what I'm looking for, so I'm going to ask here. I know it's a weird question, but humor me.

Most of us know about roll film adapters - let's you shoot 6x7, 6x9, 6x12, etc. on a 4x5 or larger camera. Has anyone ever made a roll film adapter for larger film - so you could shoot 4x5 or 5x7 on roll film? If not, why not? Why would that not work (assuming you could get the film)?

Roll film just seems like it might answer some of the weight and dust issues that we get with film holders.

Bruce Watson

4x5 roll film adapter

Umm. I think you're confused. Or maybe it's me. How can you shoot 4x5 or 5x7 on roll film? Roll film is 120 size. 4x5 and 5x7 are, well quite a bit larger than 120 size. Not to mention the fact that large format film is available in individual sheets, not rolls.

Now, if you're asking if there is 4x5 or 5x7 size roll film (rather than individual sheets), then that's a different story. I don't think there is, but it's an interesting idea.

4x5 roll film adapter

Go rent the movie "Thirteen Days." Check out the rolls of film they pull out of the U2 spy plans flying over Cuba. I know it's a movie dramatizing historical events, but I suspect those rolls of film are legitimately sized and possibly still in production for the Pentagon.

4x5 roll film adapter

There are long rolls of film available with widths of about 9" - as used in the old spy planes. Nowadays, it is mostly digital due to the requirements for instant intelligence

Look at the Gigapixel project at http://www.gigapxl.org/

4x5 roll film adapter

Some aerial cameras used 5" roll film but I doubt if it still made. It certainly does not seem to be available to the public. Next problem is "who'd process it?"

4x5 roll film adapter

Bruce - you might explore aerial film, as used in non-spy aerial cameras, still in use. Add a sprinkle of Cirkut camera research about those wondrous rotating (or not) cameras that produce on-steroids panoramas. I have not, however, seen backs that would adapt aerial film for use on 4x5s or 5x7s still as roll film, albeit wide. SK Grimes might be able to build you one, though.

4x5 roll film adapter

Film for aerial cameras and processing for it are still available. See, e.g., http://www.aerialphotolab.com/

4x5 roll film adapter

Bruce, The reason for having individual film sheets in the first place is to give you the advantage of developing each sheet seperately. That's where the Zone system comes into play . We want each image to have the best possible negative. If you start shooting 5 inch roll film with different lighting situations, which you will encounter in a few days of shooting, how will you develop your film. Can you imagine a 100 foot, 5 inch roll holder that weighs 38 pounds. Wouldn't work for me. Stick with sheets.
    Guy Boily

4x5 roll film adapter

Guys, guys, guys. I didn't ask about film. I'm not interested in aerial cameras. This is about roll film adapters for conventional view cameras. Try to stick to the topic at hand please.

Since no one has actually answered the questions I asked, I have a new one. Has this never in the history of view cameras been tried? That would be hard to believe.

Bruce Watson

4x5 roll film adapter

Okay, so what exactly do you want to do?

Shooting 120/220 roll film on a 4x5 or 5x7? I think you eliminated this possibility.

The next interpration is that you want to buy film that is 4 or 5 inches wide, by some available roll length, whether two feet or ten and load it into a roll film holder. In short, like what you may do for 120 film and film holder, but with the massive size associated with associated with 4x5 film. In that case, I believe that is the question answered. You are going to have to look towards aerial camera supplies to achieve that goal.

Anything else, I am not real sure what you are asking or proposing to do.