Thread: HP L2335 vs. Apple 23" Cinema Display

HP L2335 vs. Apple 23" Cinema Display

I was all set to take the plunge and spend big money on an Apple 23" Cinema Display when I started to read the Apple User Forum. It seems there are a ton of issues with this monitor, esp. whit a PC setup - which is what I have. There are problems with ghost images, pink-ish color instead of white and the controls for brightness, contrast and even the on/off switch won't work when run on a PC (unless you install some kind of 3rd party software that supposedely fixes the problem - but I won't spend that kind of money if the manufacturer does not support the product properly for a Windows based platform). I am now looking at an HP L2335 monitor which seems to have nothing but glorious reviews and it can rotate into portrait mode. Is anyone on this forum familiar with this display - what other displays are you using? Am I too worried about the Apple Cinema Monitor? I went to a local CompUSA store to compare monitors, but their selection in large LCDs is limited.
    Juergen

Juergen,

I'm currently using the Apple 23" Cinema Display and find it to be an amazing monitor... bright, contrasty, and very little flicker!

I also have a smaller 17" version that is tied into the same box thus allowing the palette of P/S to be placed on this monitor as I work on the actual image on the big screen.

I LOVE IT!

But then... I'm on a Mac system and can't speak to how it would perform on a PC-based machine.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

You have to be careful with product forums. Compliants - even on excellent products - always will outnumber compliments by a large factor. In fact measuring this factor is usually the tool the manfacturer uses for quality control (more than the compliants themselves).

Relative to Dell or HP, I would expect Apple's QC and service to be better. But now I'll step aside and let the all the horror stories begin...

I'm planning on getting a Mac Mini soon (although not for heavy image editing) and I'm having a hard time deciding between the Apple 23 inch monitor and exactly the same screen made by Dell (which is a good $400 cheaper). Since the actual LCD and backlight are made by Samsung, it's just a matter of how much the external appearance of the case matters to you.

Also, the pink problem on the Apple 23 inch was something that I heard a lot of complaints about when the screen was new. However, I haven't heard any new complaints in months so maybe it's fixed now.

Nathaniel. are you refering to the DELL UltraSharp Wide Aspect series of monitors?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Nathaniel, I assume you refer to the Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" monitor. It is actually on sale right now - you get 20% off when ordering by Wednesday. The pink problem is still there - at least according to the latest posts on the Apple Forum (as late as last week).
    Juergen

Hello Jurgen

I wonder if the pink problem has to do with the Windows users that are complaining ahving the gamma set incorrectly? In any event,why not take your laptop to an Apple Store or independent Apple Dealer ... plug it in and see how the monitor behaves. BTW, there is more to what is in the Cinema Display than just the Samsung screen that makes the difference.

Nathaniel,

My understanding is that while the 20" Apple and 20"Dell (2005FPW) are the same panel, this is not true for the larger monitors. That said, the backlights on the two 20" monitors are evidently not the same. I just received the Dell 20", and it's going right back: I'd need sunglasses to use the thing, even with the brighness turned to 0. The specs on the Dell 2405FWP 24" lead me to believe it would be even brighter.

As an amateur, I'd love any recommendations on inexpensive (~$400) monitors for use with Photoshop. Ideally I could have two, but it's starting look like I'll have to settle for one more expensive monitor. Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

I actually read that the screen is an LPG/Phillips screen in the Apple and the Dell and not a Samsung. The brightness of the Dell is what drove me away from it as well, despite the great price and why I was enquiring about the HP.
    Ted, your idea of taking my Laptop to an Apple dealer wouldn't work for two reasons - I don't have a DVI port on my laptop and the monitor will be hooked up to my desktop. What I could do though is ask them to hook it up to a PC from the store and see what happens.
    Juergen