Thread: Portfolio question

Portfolio question

What size do you print your LF stuff to for showing to galleries as part of a portfolio? Do you mat or not, and to what size? How many images total? Any other tips?

Michael E. Gordon

Portfolio question

I show 12-20 11x14's matted to 16x20. The actual number depends upon who I am showing to and for what purpose.

As is often said here, you're as likely to get as many diverging opinions as there are answers.

Portfolio question

IME a traditional BW only kinda gallery wants mattes. Any other kind of place isn't that interested as they aren't likely to show the prints matted anyway, so straight prints are fine

Portfolio question

There is no formula here (and if there were you would want to avoid it). Your goal is to impress the viewer, and this will require a destinction of your work from the multitude of other artists that gallery owners will see. To do so, present your work as it looks best to you. If that means matted, bring matted prints, if that means framed, bring a framed sample. If you are showing 8x10 contact prints, a small traditional leather bound book may do. Bring a print you can leave with them (decisions are rarely made on the spot, and may require another decision makers input). I showed up to my most recent gallery addition with 6 framed 32 x 40's in my truck. I took a few trips, but...

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Portfolio question

I agree with Michael and Julian; different places have different standards. i always used to show work to galleries in a traditional print portfolio, with everything in a 16x20 mat, regardless of print size. this was easy for me since all my prints were small anyhow.

Now, fewer and fewer galleries even accept print portfolios. Increasingly they want work on CD, or a handful of jpegs emailed to them. which makes your life easier, but also means they don't get to see your prints.

It also helps to be aware of the gallery's style. If most of what they're showing is 8 foot tall color prints thumbtacked to the wall, a box of precious looking black and white prints in window mats might seem awfully quaint to them. In that case it's worth considering a more casual presentation, or if you're not into that, consider if that's even a gallery worth approaching.

As far as really unconventional presentation (framed prints, 10 foot murals rolled up in tubes, platinum prints hot-glued to an inflateable raft ... whatever ... be sure to check the gallery's website for their rules. most of them have a bunch of restrictions, aimed at making their own lives easier. you won't impress anyone by being annoying and breaking the rules.

Portfolio question

I showed up to my most recent gallery addition with 6 framed 32 x 40's in my truck. I took a few trips, but...
    You are a man after my own heart, Randall.

My 6x17s would frame up to 20x60 rather nicely.

Portfolio question

John,

there have been a few posts on this over the last year or so (can't find them all...).

The answer is - it depends!

Some galleries have set guidelines.

Many don't seem to want anything fancy (mattes/boxes etc) - time being of the essence - they want to be able to flick through the images quickly.

But then again, finding a way of showing them that catches the viewers eye also helps...

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/504451.html

http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/501988.html

http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/323214.html

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/503397.html

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/category/54.html
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Portfolio question

Thanks, Tim -- great links.