Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: problems photographing city buildings, trains, etc

problems photographing city buildings, trains, etc

Andrew,

I've only had one such incident while using a tripod in Vancouver.

Quite a while ago (early nineties) while photographing a glass tower type bank (I think it was one of the gold coloured ones kitty corner to the Marine building near the foot of Burrard St in downtown Vancouver) I was told by a security guard to relocate across the street. I asked him why and he told me that the bank was private property and that management had a no photography rule out of security for bank operations. I produced my Canadian University Press ID card and argued that this building was in plain sight, in the public interest, and that I was not using any secret see through technology to spy on the goings-on of the bank. I even offered for him to look through the view finder (35mm) at what I was hoping to photograph. I had pointed my camera up at the angles of gold glass. But to no avail. He appreciated the fact that it was an "artsy" building and was polite, but firm in his stance. He would not let me photograph from their plaza area. He asked me that if I had taken any frames he would be required to confiscate my film. I left without taking one frame. It's OK because I used the film I would have shot that building with and made a better exposure of the Waterfront hotel instead :-).

Here in Toronto I was recently photographing in the port district using a tripod when a securtiy guard on horseback (really! and it was a HUGE horese) cantered over to see what I was up to. This being Canada, she (!) was cute and very friendly and wished me well.

I've spent the last six months photographing bridges, factories, industrial installations etc etc etc in Toronto and never been hassled once except for the odd friendly conversation... even when I've been obviously on private property.

I should add that I've also shot quite extensively in Los Angeles and California, including this year, and only ever had a problem once, when the owner of a wedding dress boutique in Beverley Hills took exception to me photographing his window. However this was mostly *not* industrial installations or bridges.

I do carry a high-visibility jacket etc but rarely use it. However I tend to look vaguely workman-like (check shirt, cargo pants, muddy boots) and I think that makes a lot of difference to the way people see you. I'd definitely go the blaze jacket, hard hat route if I thought it was necessary.

Hey, what about mounting your LF on a wheelchair when the use of a tripod is forbidden? You may even sit in it yourself.

Norm

LOL

Yes the wheelchair is the perfect solution 'cause then we can claim the "American's with Disablities Act".

Well officer, I'm going to have to sue you and your police department 'cause your policy blocks my attempt at photographing this dam from my wheelchair.

Grin!

Where I live most people are up tight 'cause they think I'm a surveyor since I use a Ries wood tripod. They always relax when I say "no, I'm a photographer." People are more concerned another beautiful piece of farm land will become a subdivision.

Anywhere that you want to have a high quality of life -- and not trip over hookers, derelicts, addicts, and pickpockets -- you're going to have "selective" enforcement and purposefully vague regulations, legal or not. I'm not trying to make a political point with that. I'm only pointing out that it is often intentional drawn to give the guards, cops, and others the leeway to keep their area clear from undesirables.

I'm sure if a slovenly dressed photographer attempted to use an 8x10 to photograph on the busiest streets of Paris (Atget!?), Ottawa, or Amsterdam they'd be questioned as well.

I already know from experience that they'll try to boot your ass out of Carmel, Palm Springs, and other pretty haunts that Edward Weston frequented.

Perhaps a loose urban tog is a notch above a hooker or a wino. But maybe not? In which case maybe you need to dress for success and work on your presentation skills...

In any event, you probably have the right to photograph anything you can see from public space. And if you just take the picture, what are they going to do? Shoot you?

I just saw an art book where the photographer made art photos of military training, Army bases, bombing, etc. all sanctioned by the US Military but not at all "pro-Military" and in fact quite anti-war in tone and content. If the fricking US Army allows this, then I still think we have an open society, albeit with some dumb goon rent-a-cops on the fringes.

I knew there was a reason why I never had a desire to go to Phoenix. You need to move to Tampa. I photographed everything all over downtown for years without ever being questioned or stopped except one time when I was on private property (an office building court yard) and asked to move back to the sidewalk by a security guard (many years before the war on terror). Just a year or so ago I was photographing the exterior of an old YMCA building that was being converted into condos. Someone in a coat and tie came out and asked what I was doing. I thought he was going to tell me to stop. It turned out that he was the owner of the building and when I told him I was an amateur and just photographing because I liked the building he invited me inside and gave me free rein to photograph the interior from top to bottom as often as I wanted.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

The same is true for Portland. Last week I was walking all over downtown taking pictures. No one ever said anything to me, yet alone harassed me. I even went on a bridge and took this picture:

http://www.eyildirim.com/portlandlarge.jpg

I was set up there for at least 30 minutes trying to decide which angle I want to shoot from. My tripod was standing there the whole time, and my huge Lowpro packed with photo stuff was sitting on the sidewalk of the bridge. Lots of people walked by - some were even nice enough to stop ahead of me, and asked me if I was done taking the picture (of course, I told them that I'm taking a picture of the skyline, not the bridge, so they weren't really interfering with my composition). One even asked me if I was getting any good shots. I guess it depends on where you live and and your appearance...

Emre - beautiful photo. Similar to the photos I have been asked not to make!

Brian - otherwise, Phoenix is a great place to be. Most of AZ is very LF friendly. For the most part, you can do whatever you want downtown without getting hassled by cops (oddly that includes running red lights!)

norm- I'm trying desperately to not let these incidents influence what I shoot, but they are. I used to pull my vehicle up to nearly anything that looked photogenic and start shooting without worry. Now I am constantly turning to look over my shoulder as I photograph even the most innocent subjects. Sometimes, I don't even bother, or get frustrated and leave. It has made me think hard about using a DSLR instead of my big old Sinar, too.

Pete/CXC - I'm not sure I would label the US as the "land of the free" anymore. This country has changed a LOT in the last six years. I fear we are slowly becoming an Orwellian police state. Canada is looking like a great alternative!