For the last 6 months or so, I have had many difficulties photographing downtown Phoenix. I have been approached by uniformed officers at least half of the times I have been out shooting. I have been made to stop photographing on three occaisions, and had my ID taken and called in to headquarters two times as well.

The city police have told me that photographing the transportation system is illegal, and me shooting it raises a "red flag". This includes trains as well as the "flight paths of airplanes" (which includes nearly the entire sky in Phoenix). Today I was told by a Maricopa Protection Services (or "Security Services" or something - he had a badge and a gun) officer that all government buildings are off limits. He also told me to pack it up because I was shooting from a privately owned parking structure, and needed permission from the owner (who was of course not available to give permission).

As soon as I set up my tripod, I know it is a matter of time before I will be approached and questioned. Even if I am shooting from public property, and photographing buildings which are fair game, I have been told that I am "loitering".

Without starting a political debate, does anyone know what is really off limits, and what is fair game? Any tips on getting a permit, or some kind of card that certifies that I am not a Terrorist?

I found this link, but it does not go into great detail : Photographer's Rights. I also have an email in to the Phoenix Mayor's office requesting info. I will repost here anything I find.