Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gitzo G1570 Questions

Geos

Gitzo G1570 Questions

Kerry, I had the G1570M for at least a year and found that it was too stiff. While it did work, I eventually sold it and purchased the Arca-Swiss B2. Based on my experience, the head was designed for cameras in the 20+lbs catagory.

Gitzo G1570 Questions

Scott - My problem with the outfit is the tripod attachment platform of the C-1. The platform is rather open at the bottom, and so the camera still wiggles more than I'd like. This is no fault of the tripod head. To eliminate this problem I'd have to get a Majestic tripod head with a 6"x7" or larger mounting platform.

Scott,

You might want to just make a larger platform for your G1570M that is big enough to accomodate the base of your C-1. You could cut it to size from a 1/4" sheet of aluminum and bolt it securely to the existing G1570M platform. For best results, you might have to drill a few new holes in the existing platform. Even a larger platform made out of 1/2" plywood, while not as rigid as 1/4" alminum, would help reduce the "wiggles" you are getting with your current set-up.

I think you may run into the same problem I am having if you are using an Arca-Swiss type connector for your camera to the tripod head. There will be too little camera-base to tripod-head surface contact,and so the camera will vibrate on its own.

That's why I'm considering just securely bolting the extension bracket directly to the G1570 platform. That will give me a solid contact area nearly 7" long by about 1.5" wide.

That leads to a related question - has anyone removed the cork from the top of their Gitzo (or other brand) head? I'm used to a rigid metal-on-metal connection between my camera and tripod head. The cork gasket seems too soft and flexible to maintain the rigidity I am used to. On the other hand, while not as rigid, perhaps the soft cork material helps dampen vibrations. Any thoughts?

Kerry

Gitzo G1570 Questions

I think the compressed cork serves to keep the thumbscrew tight. Although I really have grown to hate those plastic Gitzo screws - they break and rip your fingers. I'd substitute nice stainless hexes, Loctite, and bare metal to metal contact for a semi-permanent attachment.

Gitzo G1570 Questions

I really hope that you'll publish the story about your hybrid 7x17 on your website or this one. Nothing against VC except what's been discussed ad naseum, and I think a lot more people would appreciate seeing your excellent writing and stories around the world.