Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: avante garde architectural photography?

avante garde architectural photography?

I'm looking for artists who shoot architecture and cityscapes in a non-traditional fashion. Andreas Gursky has some interesting images, and I saw some nice stuff in this month's Lenswork. Anybody know of some other artists doing this kind of stuff in a new and unique way?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

michael wolf and thomas struth come to mind ... but is their work still a new and unique if it looks an awful lot like gursky's?

also, check out sugimoto. his architecture pictures are specifically about looking at architecture in a different way.

Since the early 1990s, Gursky has made subtle digital alterations to some of his photographs, adjusting the composition, eliminating details and enhancing colour. There are no individuals in Gursky’s photographs, instead, where figures do appear, they are reduced to ant-like proportions, embedded within the repeating patterns of the whole.

Gursky has commented:
    ‘My preference for clear structures is the result of my desire - perhaps illusory - to keep track of things and maintain my grip on the world.’

http://www.artnet.com/artist/7580/andreas-gursky.html

Frankly, first time I've ever heard of Gursky. I'm too typically American to know what's going on in the rest of the world. HA!

Look forward to learning about other "non-traditional" photographers from the group.

Joerg's webblog is always a good starting point for such queries. Here's a link to his architecture category. Seeketh and thou wilst find. http://www.jmcolberg.com/weblog/archives/cat_architecture.html

Robert Polidori who shoots for The New Yorker does very interesting work.

steve simmons

Somewhat less avante garde: Robert Polidori

Karl Lagerfeld: "Casa Malaparte" and "The House in the Trees;" Frank Thiel: "Berlin;"
    Lee Friedlander: "Sticks & Stones;" some work by Naoya Hatakeyama, Ryuji Miyamoto, and
    Nobuyoshi Araki (yes, some interesting city stills, not just kinky nudes);
    "An Eye for the City" with work by Gabriele Basilico, Vincenzo Castella, Mammo Jodice, Walter Niedermayr, and a couple of others.

I assume when you say non-traditional you are NOT looking for contemporaries who are simply doing great work. For instance Polidori is doing great work and occasionally interesting work with real irony, but mainly great traditional work. If you mean someone who is seeing architecture in a radically different way than it has been seen traditionally, then you need to look at people like Sugimoto who break all the canons.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Actually now that I am thinking on it, I respect most photographers who teach me through their work to look at the world differently. These photographers are not clever posers looking to impress the art world, but people who see more clearly without the preconceptions of tradition or commercial expediency something that is hard to do in a genre with such staunch traditions as architectural photography.

In architectural photography, the person who I learn the most from in terms of seeing architecture in new and different ways is MARK CITRET, who I had the honor of presenting with at the View Camera Conference in Monterey a few years ago. he is a great guy and a true creative.

www.mcitret.com/
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Eric Biggerstaff

Kirk,

As always great post. I really like the work of Mark Citret, I find myself pulling his books off my shelf often as he teaches me to look for the beauty in the commonplace, much like his great influence Ruth Bernhard. He has a true gift
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com