Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Limited vs unlimited edition prints?

Limited vs unlimited edition prints?

First off, before I get flamed here, I've read all of the past posts discussing this, but my question here is not ethical or pragmatic but economic. Here's the deal: I've had offers from a couple of different galleries as well as a number of individuals (ie 15+) to display or purchase my work in the past. I hadn't gotten around to printing and framing anything just yet, because it wasn't terribly high on my priority list. A couple of weeks ago, however, my cat had to go into the vet for some fairly major ilness, and the general upshot is that I've added about $600 a month in extra expenses for the next 6 months (don't do the math on that lol). While I don't expect my prints to cover all or even most of this, I know that I can sell at least a few prints to offset my costs.So here is my question: from a purely sales perspective, do those of you who sell prints see limited or unlimited series prints make more money in the short term (say, 6 to 9 months)? And do you see more interest from serious collectors (which I would define as those who are looking for a long-term investment) or buyers of impulse (ie, "Oooh, look at the pretty picture")? Just for reference, my photos are night landscapes printed on an Epson 1800, anywhere from 24"x13" to 36"x13". If you'd like me to post some examples I can. Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Mike

Michael E. Gordon

Here's my opinion and it is just that:

I wouldn't hope too much to offset vet expenses through print sales. Selling prints is a tough business unless you're going to sell them for $20 each or you have images that everyone has just gotta have. With that out of the way, I'd suggest that you don't worry about editioning right now. Just sell prints and worry about editioning if and when you have to. Serious collectors are not surfing the web looking to collect; they go to auctions and buy from dealers. You're likely to have 'ordinary' people buying your work, and most wont ask about or care about editioning.

Good luck, and sorry to hear about your cat. I've dumped a lot of money into my animal companions over the years, so I know what it's like. Best of luck.

Doug Dolde

No cat is worth $3600. In fact one ran in front of my car a few weeks ago and met it's maker. I felt no remorse nor gladness, nothing in fact.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Way to show some empathy for Mike's cat, there, Doug! Obviously you've never had a pet. Good luck with your cat and print sales, Mike, and take with a grain of salt what some of the yahoos on this forum say.
    Brian Vuillemenot

a suggestion: take a picture of your cat (or any cat - kitten is best), make a large print and offer it to your vet to offset some of the cost...as for "limited" prints I think you need to burn or destroy to negative in respect to the term "limited":...

Michael, as far as prints go, I've already got a number of people who have been waiting for me to mount and frame photos, and I quoted each of them somewhere in the neighborhood of $150 to $230 per print, depending on size, and no one scoffed. I'm just trying to decide how I should pitch it to galleries. Leaning towards the limited side, only because I've been asked about it twice.

Doug, and Brian, no skin off my nose. I'm not looking for an endorsement or condemnation to my silly expenses, purely a value judgement on my part. I have little doubt that everyone on this forum has some expense that others would find frivolous and outrageous. Spend on what is valuable to you. Besides, in the end it's only money.

Mike

Dan, already tried this, they had a good chuckle. Apparently a very large number of artists in this town own either cats or dogs. But hey, it was worth a try.

Mike

Abuser of God's Sunlight

my advice would be to talk to the galleries about it. first, see if they're interested in your work, and second, get their advice on editions. their advice will be based on how to make the most money, and it will be based on their clientelle.

there's no one right answer to this, because there's no one art world with one set of rules and one set of collectors with one set of expectations.

at the higher end of things, limited editions are always assumed (and limiting does not mean destroying your negative ... it amounts to a promise and a number scribbled on the back of the print).

at any rate, dealers know their clientelle, and how to best best get their money from them.

if you do edition the prints, an accepted, profitable policy to consider is a stair-stepped edition (this isn't the official term ... i forget what it's called) where the first 10 are cheap, the second 10 are expensive, the final 10 are very expensive (of course you get to decide the edition size and the breaks ...)

i hope your cat is ok.

and mr. doug dolde, it was awfully thoughtful using this forum to spread your hatred and lack of compassion. i'm sure you made everyone feel better.

Mike, there was a similar thread on here a while back with lots of good information and opinion. It might be worth searching the archives.

Let's hope that Doug Dolde's images display a greater level of sensitivity than his mouth and brain does.

"No cat is worth $3600."

I spent much more than that on one cat named Fred. In return, Fred blessed us with 17 years of unconditional love and gratitude and then I spent another $300 for his cremation and urn. I presently spend a lot of our disposable income on five stray dogs from *losers* who dumped them "out in the country" when they either got tired of them, got too big for their apartments or became sick. Some of us understand the value of life better than others.

I cannot comment about limited editions, but I can help contribute to your cause. Where can someone look at your work?