Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Epson 4990 Preview Problem

Epson 4990 Preview Problem

Just out of curiousity - are you saying that this is related to the actual size of the negative being scanned...just coming back to my previous proposal in this thread. If you scan only a smaller part of the 4x5 negative with higher resolution 2400+...is the bug still there?

If I scan a smaller portion of the negative, or if I change the DPI to something smaller than 2400 DPI then there is no issue. Or, as you asked, if I scan a smaller part of the negative at 2400 DPI then the issue goes away.

Your other post was leaning toward memory so I did do a bit of testing in that realm as well. I attached the scanner to a different PC that has a different processor (slower) and different memory (less) and saw the same issue.

So, I upped the RAM on my machine from 2 gig of DDR SDRAM to 3 gig. I also moved large files to a firewire drive (so paging file and such should be OK). Same problem.

Here's the update...
    I first emailed technical support (from Epson's website) on March 13th. On April 9th (after 8 emails back and forth) someone replied that it appeared to be an EpsonScan software issue and that they could not help me further and that I would have to work with Customer Relations.

I called Customer Relations several times and received return calls from them. They have no solution as they are only the group who is supposed to work to make the customer happy (I'm happy, but not with the service I received from them) and they had no solution for the problem (they do not have SilverFast AI to send out or anything) so they escalated it to Technical Support (supposedly a group that is more knowledgable than the people who work the email tech. support). I had to schedule a return call from them so I could be near my scanner when they called.

I took a the day off work yesterday in order to work with their Tech. Support person. He called and for 20 minutes he had me try different things then he said that he had nothing more for me and that he would have to escalate the issue to the engineering department and that they would get back with me.

Well, I got a call from Epson's corporate in Long Beach and the woman apologized for all of the trouble that I had to go through and said that she had checked their internal, upcoming fixes. She said that there is a note that the next firmware version (due out in approximately two weeks) will have a fix for the issue. She said that it specifically mentions scans with a purplish hue (though I had not mentioned which way the colors were shifting) which seems to address the issue of the images as enclosed at the top of this thread.