Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson 4990 Preview Problem

Epson 4990 Preview Problem

I am using the Epson 4990 that I have had for about 9 months. It has been working great until recently.
    When I scan, the preview color and density is many times different from what is imported into Photoshop.

I am using Epson's scanning software (which I have used all along). I calibrate my monitor every couple weeks using Gretag MacBeth Eye-One. I am on version CS2 of PhotoShop.

I've not made any changes in software, hardware, etc. for about 3 months. My color settings in PhotoShop remain the same.

Ideas as to what the problem is?

Preview:

Result:

I would do a global reset of the default settings first and then reinstall the sofware from the Eposn site next if that doesn't work.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

This remains after resetting all color settings in PhotoShop and after uninstalling and reinstalling Epson's software.

Also...with further testing I found that the scans come out as in the preview if I scan at 1200 DPI and below, but if I am at 2400 or higher (which is where I often scan) that is when the color shift occurs.

So, if I run Epson Scan (alone, not within PhotoShop), do a preview, marquee the part of the image that I want, and scan it with the DPI set to 1200, the saved image comes out just as in the preview. If I don't exit Epson Scan or make any change beyond altering the DPI to 2400, the saved image comes out with completely different color from the other one.

This happens if I scan the 1200 DPI image first or second or if I scan the 2400 image first or second.

Strange?

Man you got me! I have no idea.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

This is a real longshot....but sometimes this solves some problems with odd things. Machine on, unplug the lid wait twenty seconds, then unplug the USB cord and wait twenty seconds then unplug the power cord. Plug everything back in and then restart the machine.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Also are you deleting your preferences folder when you reinstal your software. If not the reinstal is not truely starting from scratch.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

I have only used older Epson scanners, but they had a DPI setting where they switched from using one array of the CCD to two. That is, for each colour channel the CCD consists of two strips of cells staggered with respect to each other. Scanning at low resolutions only used one strip, scanning at higher resolutions used both.

I suspect one of your CCD strips - or its amplifier - is dead for one colour. 1200 DPI switches to use one strip and you are getting junk data in one colour channel.

If you look at the individual colour channels at 1:1 do you see a checkerboard pattern or stripes one pixel wide? You may not - it depends on the interpolation routines in the scanner driver - but if you do it's a pretty good sign that your problem is indeed a single strip of a single colour going wonky.

Yes, I make sure to go in and delete anything remaining in the folders when I remove software.

Also, Straun, I did check it at 1:1 each channel at a time and there is nothing that I can see as a pattern. No patterns or stripes at 1:1 or even if I zoom in (I tried checking them at 100%, 400%, and 1600% magnification).

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

brian,

note that if you are on windows the preferences file may well not be with the program files, but somewhere like C/Documents and Settings and then under one of the User folders somewhere
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Tim, I went through my documents and settings as well. I think I have a freak thing.

I did remembered, duh, that I installed a new Epson R1800 prior to noting this happening. But I would think that by uninstalling the scanner and reinstalling it that anything bad done by the printer should have been over-written.