Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to vacuum film backs - (film holders)

Alternative to vacuum film backs - (film holders)

Is their any alternative to Scheiders "high end" vacuum backs? When pointing th e view camera downwards, the film will buckle in the middle causing focus proble ms as I have exceeded my Depth of Focus limits. I would guess there must me a w ay to slide a very hard but thin piece of glass into the film holder which would keep the film from buckling when the holder is parallel to the ground. Has any one experimented with any systems to prevent film buckling? I have considerd th e "high end back", but it requires special film holders and the vacumm part is t oo big and bulky to carry in the field. Thank you..

Sinar has its Precision 4x5 Sheet Film Holder and the adhesive models for 5x7 and 8x10. Haven't used any of these; the 4x5 in particular is pretty pricey but simpler than a vacuum back. Check B&H >LF >Sinar >Back Accessories for details. Anybody have any experience with any of these desi

Simon, thanks for the info.... this leads me to an even simpler method compared to the glass I mentioned above. I imagine some mildly adhesive double sided tape in the film holder would work just the same. Anyone try that before?

Linhof once made vacuum backs for use in the field. They had a little tube you sucked on to produce the vacuum at the right time. Haven't seen one for a long time, but I'm sure they are out there somewhere. You might try contacting some camera stores in Germany where I'm sure they were more plentiful.
    Alec

"Linhof once made vacuum backs for use in the field. They had a little tube you sucked on to produce the vacuum at the right time. Haven't seen one for a long time, but I'm sure they are out there somewhere. You might try contacting some camera stores in Germany where I'm sure they were more plentiful. "

They didn't work.

Hoffman makes vacuum film holders though that do work.

Linhof also made "regular" 4x5 film holders that used a spring loaded panel behind the film to hold it flat. I've got one and it works quite well. My only complaint is that loading the film is a bit of a task, and I needed to slightly modify one of the film removal levers (each side has a little lever that pushed the film out of the end of the holder when you're unloading it), but these are only minor complaints. Otherwise, I have been very happy with it's performance. They aren't terribly hard to find used and only run about $30-$45 each.

-Dave Munson

-Dave Munson

Bob, Tell us more about the Hoffman vac holders. Where can they be obtained?

"Linhof also made "regular" 4x5 film holders that used a spring loaded panel behind the film to hold it flat. I've got one and it works quite well. My only complaint is that loading the film is a bit of a task, and I needed to slightly modify one of the film removal levers (each side has a little lever that pushed the film out of the end of >

Not quite. These were plate and sheet film holders and the spring loaded plate was not a pressure plate for film. It was a means of making the holder compensate for the difference in thickness between film and glass plates. the lever was to easily remove glass plates without scratching the plate.

A spring loaded plate in a sheet film holder can't really hold film flat as it has nothing to push the film against.

As for Hoffman holders you would have to contact the manufacturer who is somewhere in NY.

Pat, I am trying to locate Hoffman also.... I have seen them advertise in View Camera Magazine a few times, but can not find that issue... if anyone has a phone # or a link, please pass it along... Thanks for the lead Bob...

In general a search of the archived questions can yield previously posted info but to save you the time here it is:

Hoffman Camera Corporation 19 Grand Avenue Farmingdale, NY 11735 1-516-694-4470