Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silverfast Tutorial

Silverfast Tutorial

Kirk,

Once in a while, I find it necessary to use different (PS) curves for different paper for optimal quality (different DMAX, different color rendition). I was wondering if you ever need to use different in-sampling curves to adjust for different output media. I suspect not, I suspect that any media-specific adjustment can be dealt with in post-processing in Photoshop, but would like to hear your confirmation.

Or is it the case that you process the same way (using exactly the same curves for a given image) for all output media ? If so then my question is moot.

Regards,

Silverfast Tutorial

Phong,

I guess not. What I am trying to do in SF is get the curve in the ballpark (usually a hair low in contrast) of what I want in the final print, so that all my adjustments in PS fall within the "latitude" of the file I have established. It is similar with clipping points. I want them set close to what I want, but I leave a little room for final adjustment in PS. Does that make sense? I don't try to get it perfect in the scan-just close. Then in PS I set up level and curve adjustment layers to fine tune the files for specific media.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Silverfast Tutorial

I'd never recommend Pro Photo as a colorspace to scan with.it is much too large

Much, much better is "EktaSpace, JHolmes PS5" , created by Joseph Holmes, (available as a free download at http://www.josephholmes.com/profiles) (and read the PDf that comes withthe download!) Ekta Space and Holmes' Ektachrome spac are workspaces ceated to just barely capture al lofthe color gamut and contrast range modern E-6 transparency films are capable of recording -- a smaller ballpark than the huge Pro Photo Space but larger than Adobe RGB (1998). Using Adobe RGB(1998) can clip colors recorded on transparency film. I am not sure if Adobe RGB (1998) clipping is an issue for color negative films becasue I have shot very little color negative material. Still, Ekta Space would be a safer bet.

Like Kirk, I also use Ai6 Studio with my Nikon and Epson scanners.