Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enlarging lens for 8x10

Enlarging lens for 8x10

I've searched the archives but I'm not finding enough information on specific 8x10 enlarging lenses.

What are good used lens choices for 8x10 enlarging? I'll use it on a home made enlarger and probably up to 3 or maybe 4x enlargement (not necessarily to make 32x40s but to have room for cropping)

Thanks in advance.

Enlarging lens for 8x10

I've had very nice results from a 229mm Ilex Copy Paragon, I think it cost $60 nib from Photo Graphic Systems and has a lovely deep blue coating. Its aboard my elderly Elwood.

I've heard that 250mm Kodak Ektanons were what they used "back in the day" but hey, the Copy Paragon works for me.

If you're shooting 8x10 you might have a 240 G Claron or larger in your kit, which would probably work just dandy if you can handle f/9 (a little too dim in the dark room for my old browns!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Enlarging lens for 8x10

The 300mm Rodenstock Rodagon!
    Juergen

Enlarging lens for 8x10

Be very careful, for the quality of your images are only as good as your weakest link. I had used a 240mm Rodenstock Rodagon for a number of years making prints up to 20x24. And then one day I decided to start doing some big stuff and that is where I started to run into problems. The edges appeared out of focus while the center was razor sharp. There was nothing I could do to focus the edges. They were just soft and fuzzy.

I ended up buying a Schneider and a Nikon and benchmarking all three enlarging lenses. To my surprise the NIkon won hands down. Was the image soft at the edges for the Nikon. Absolutely, but it was much better than the Rodenstock and the Schneider. I kept the EL-Nikkor and returned the Schneider and sold the Rodenstock.

If I were you when you buy an enlarger lens, I would install it on your enlarger immediately and project the largest image possible. I would then check the edges to see how soft they are.

Enlarging lens for 8x10

I use a 300 rodagon and have not found any softness to the image at the edges, checking with my peak. I just got the enlarger and have only made 20x24 so far. Now my interest is peaked. I'm going to go down and wind the salsman all the way up and check. Stephen, do you think it might have been more of an issue with using a 240, which is squeezing all the lens could do, rather than a using 300? I understand also that sometimes situations dictate a 240.

Enlarging lens for 8x10

The EL Nikor 210mm lens is often available used for a very reasonable price. I guess people only think it will cover only 5X7, but it covers 8X10 well. It isn't small, roughly the size of a coffee mug.

Geos

Enlarging lens for 8x10

When I printed 8x10 optically I began using a 240mm Componon and found that vignetting at 20x24 was too much for my taste. I purchased a 300mm Componon-S and was much happeir.

Enlarging lens for 8x10

Stephen,
    Were all the lenses you tried 240s? Do you think that was part of the problem? Whatever I come up with I'd like to avoid the dogs in any focal length.

Kevin,
    I saw several references to the Nikkor 210 in the archives. I like the idea that it would let me work with less enlarger height. Is this what you are using now? I know when I tried a 135mm Nikkor for 4x5 I was not pleased and went to a 150 Nikkor which works fine. SIze is not a big deal as I can make most anything fit.

I have top notch lenses for 35 through 4x5 but the information on 8x10 lenses is somewhat thin. I've proven to myself through trial an error that the best APO glass gives visibly better prints in smaller formats. But I don't think I have to have the absolute incredible best to make moderate enlargements from 8x10. I do want it to cover and be sharp all over the frame. "Good" in an 8x10 enlarging lens might be completely satisfactory where in smaller formats I'd be looking for "the best". Am I wrong?

John,
    I had a 162 Enlarging Raptor on a 5x7 enlarger once that was not very good but I'm open to suggestions for older glass. I guess your Copy Paragon was a graphic arts lens? What about GA lenses for enlarging? I think they'd be OK?

John Berry, please let me hear what you find about your 300 Rodagon.

Thanks for the info so far and keep it coming if anyone has more to offer.

Enlarging lens for 8x10

I agree that the issue here is focal length. As a rule of thumb, I've always used the same focal that is "normal" for the taking lens in the corresponding format. So I use a 300 on my 8x10 enlarger (and a 210 with the 5x7 head when enlarging 5x7 negs). But not everyone I realize has a column tall enough for a 300. On analogy with taking lenses, if the enlarging lens is too short, there is a danger of light fall-off on the edges (and, for all I know, image distortion as well). There are mtf charts available on the web, at least for Rodenstock and Schneider, that give will an idea of how a given enlarging lens of a given focal will perform on a given film format.

Enlarging lens for 8x10

Remember that a 240 for 8x10 is considered a wide angle - any wide angle will go soft at the edges when you enlarge to extremes - that's why they use a "normal" lens typically for enlargements. I have never heard that the 300mm Rodenstock Rodagon is soft at the edge and have not noticed it myself.
    Juergen