Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paper developer

Paper developer

Hello all,

I'm just beginner to mix the chemical by myself.. needs experience user to guide.
    Please anyone who know what's the right formulary chemical to develop in Oriental FB VC and Ilford FB VC paper in Natural tone.. I have many choices , but non of them explain what kind of paper will fit with.

Example: I check from VersaLab for Splitgrade use manual, they recommend Oriental FB VC paper develops with AGFA Multicontrast , I have many Agfa :106, 120,115,113 which one?
    please me

Ten.

Paper developer

Multicontrast in Agfa 130 is as beautiful as B&W gets.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Paper developer

Is that the same?.. Agfa 130 and Ansco 130?? I searched in google, I found only Ansco 130... Please give me formular infromation .

Cheers,

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Paper developer

agfa 130 is identical to asco 130.

Paper developer

Sorry, I should have said Ansco 130. Available in packaged form from Photographers Formulary and their dealers.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Paper developer

Photographers Formulary:

http://www.photoformulary.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=2&tabid=9&CategoryID=33&langID=0

Paper developer

The Agfa 106, 130, etc, are old recipes that have not been in production for decades. As far as I know, Agfa Multicontrast is a different mix, not listed on any site. That said, you probably won't lose much, and perhaps gain something, if you use an old favourite like Agfa/Ansco 130. I think that it fell into disfavour because there is expensive and finger staining Glycine in it, but it is quite a legendary paper developer. Beware that it can get pretty warm when it gets a "partly exhausted" status.

Paper developer

Phillipe, I think you may have confused Glycin and Amidol. Amidol is notorious for staining skin, clothing and developing trays. I mix and use both Ansco 130 and Michael Smith's Amidol paper developer. In my opinion, Amidol is in a class by itself as a silver paper developer. It is one of the few silver paper developers that is compatible with water bath development.

Glycin has a short life as a dry chemical unless stored in darkness and under refrigerated conditions. In solution, as a component of Ansco-130, Glycin has a reasonably long working life.

On the other hand, Amidol has a very long life (years) as a dry chemical. Amidol paper developers typically have a tray life of about one to two days.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Paper developer

"Glycin has a short life as a dry chemical unless stored in darkness and under refrigerated conditions."

have you tried storing it refrigerated? i'd love to be able to extend its shelf life. i tried amber glass jars ... didn't seem to help much. i'll put it in the fridge if that works.

Old School Wayne

Paper developer

Your best bet is in solution, where I would rate its life as considerably longer than just reasonable. I have used 1 year old 130 stock and it was good as new , and even 2 year old Ansco 130 stock was still highly functional. YMMV of course. I have heard of people storing it dry in the freezer, (never the fridge), though very few data points there. I just tossed 18 grams in the freezer today, so check back in a year.