Thread: matting boders for 11x14

matting boders for 11x14

I'm mounting 11x14 silver contacts with a floating border. Ive been told that top and sides should have a 3" minimum and the bottom 3" to 4". I mounted one image on 16x20 and it seems very tight with less than a 2" border. Should I go the next size up 20x24? What is the next standard frame size?

Mike A

matting boders for 11x14

This will probably make you laugh, but here's how I decide what size window matte to use for a given size print. I get a stack of 8.5x11 inch "letter" paper and fold sheets down to to a given border size. Put the print on the floor and place your folded "borders" around the print. Stand up and look at it. Iterate until you find the border widths that feel right to you. You'll often want a bit more on the bottom for instance.

For me, it seems that small prints need smaller borders. As prints get bigger they need bigger borders, to a point. Then they start needing smaller borders again.

As to trying to match "standard" size frames, this can cause your image presentation to look squeezed if the aspect ratios of print and frame aren't fairly close. But again, with the method above, you can simulate any frame size you want. Try it and see.

Bruce Watson

Geos

matting boders for 11x14

Why go with standard sizes? You should either get custom frames/stock, or get a chop-saw and cut your own. You are obviously going for the best with respect to the images themselves, why not do everything to the highest standards?

matting boders for 11x14

Light Impressions lets you mix and match aluminum frame sections to make any size you want. I'm sure there are other vendors who do the same.

matting boders for 11x14

As George and Burce have indicated, it is a matter of personal taste. I usually use 20X24 because it looks right to me and the materials are easy to get at the art store.

I have prints produced by some major photographers who seem to have chosen likewise.

matting boders for 11x14

There isn't a generally right or wrong answer althought there certainly is a right or wrong answer for you. When was the last time you saw a review of a photo show that talked about the matting? People really do want to see the photos so just take the doctors approach and do no harm which in this case means don't distract from the photos. Trust your photos.

The only heinous distracting matting thing that I can think of is the use of some terrible color matt but other than that the viewing public really doesn't care as long as the entire presentation looks professional. If everthing is professional it gives the viewers the hint that the photos are worth looking at just in case they need that little extra nudge. From a commercial standpoint, collectors want to know that they're making a good investment and the professionalism is all part of that. Everything has to service the photos.

Whatever you do, it will be fine. Trust your photos. I wish you good luck.