Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum moderators must make tough judgement calls

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Forum moderators must make tough judgement calls

I think free speech is an American right. This is on the world wide web. I wouldn't think you could force American laws to govern the world.
    The moderators are there to edit.... they should be allowed to do so.
    I for one would prefer if the language was kept civil.
    -Rob Skeoch

Anyway, there are plenty of wonderful words to use in a spirited argument that's doesn't include the "George Carlin" words. Let's use a little more imagination when writing. We're all creative people - we're photographers!

Come on, Walt, give the man some credit! I have his calendar, one of those with a select, shall we say comment for each day , sitting on my desk and in 58 days so far, not once have I come across one of "those" words. And believe me, he does get his message accross anyway!

Unlike some of the posters here, one of them in particular, George knows exactly when, why and how to use those words to achieve the best effect. He uses them to make a point. The posters we are refering to here used them to kill the point of the discussion. And it is precisely this difference that also separates creativity and imagination from plain old rudeness. Rudness, I believe, we can all live without and still be free.

Regards,

"Rudeness, I believe, we can all live without and still be free. "

It does not matter what your chosen profession is for this to apply and for some of us we learned it from our upbringing or from plain old common sense, but if one does not apply the proper people skills (i.e., politeness, civility, honesty, etc.), one will not acquire the networking that is necessary to advance in your chosen field, be it art or not. The folks that go around carrying a bad attitude or simply go around bullying others fail to see the connection. I usually laugh when I realize they think they are going to make it on their own.

Scott,

Yes, it was obvious that you were being both informative and supportive to jaz in your comments! Makes me feel pride in the forum and the quality of its participants' remarks.

I think we've all seen where a first-timer, contrariwise, will ask a question and then be bludgeoned. That embarrasses me.

All,

Thanks for helpful, insightful remarks!

Regards,

#?Tuan%&Jorge()$Ralph@JJ?XButzi*+^#!!!!!

Having gotten that off my chest. I think there are many ways to express feelings without being offensive or rude. The forum has been quite civil of late and as a result I think we are seeing broader participation (just my perception-I may be wrong), which is good. Thanks to the moderators for stepping up to the plate. Ralph Barker to be sure. Thanks.

I also sense some hesitation as people feel out the newly reaffirmed boundaries. There is nothing quite as invigorating as a good old fashioned argument (or taking a great image!), but I think we can do that and still be civil.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I'm sure we all have the right to say whatever we choose, to whomever we choose, in whatever style we choose. However, the guy paying the bills here (Tuan) has the right to decide whether or not his money is used to repeat what we say.

In terms of free speech, we all have the right to purchase our own domains, to pay for hosting and to write or purchase software for our own forums, on which we can post all the vitriol we can think of.

We all have the right to stand on a soapbox in the town square, but there's nothing that says Tuan has to let us use his soapbox...

The US constitution guarantees the right to US citizens to certain free speach. It doesn't guarantee the right to have it heard (read). Now, let's go lock and load... film holders and make a few photos.

WOuldn't that be load and then lock. Having tried to load a locked film holder, I can definately say it does not work.

The right to speak doen't equal a right to being published. All the web forums and printed media operate on that premise, although I am wondering what is the legal status of moderated usenet groups.
    While just technically I "own" the site (someone has to do it), all decisions about the Forum are made in a collegial way, and no rights at all are claimed on the contents.

You know, one of the signs of a society in decline is self-absorbtion and navel gazing. How about a hearty thank you to QT and company and we move on to talking about LF before we get into a fight?