Thread: Packard Shutter Info

Packard Shutter Info

One of the problems of using a Packard shutter is that you need to get tha air to operate it from the outsdide into the interior of the camera. I have seen this done rather untidily several times. The user drills a hole in the lensboard or the front of the camera and sticks the tube through it along with a glob of some sort of sealing goo.

To do the job neatly, and more reliably, you need a gimmick called a "bulkhead fitting". They used to be widely available as military surplus, but I haven't seen this for awhile. They are, however, available commercially. There are probably several sources, but the one I know about is McMaster-Carr. Though a big wholesale outfit, they are apparently willing to sell single items, and without any minimum price. Their website is www.mcmaster.com and their part number is 44555 K121.

The fittings are made of brass, very appropriate for a Deardorff or Korona. The body of the fitting is threaded and a nut secures it in place. The threaded area is long enough to allow for about 1/2" (12mm) thickness. You just shove the tubing over each end. I wouldn't expect clamps to be necessary. With this arrangement you can pull the tubing on the outside off when putting the camera away if desired.

Usual disclaimer - no, I have no connection with McMaster-Carr except as an occasional satisfied customer.

Packard Shutter Info

Thanks for that Ernest. It was very timely as I'm building a couple of housing boxes for my packards to use on my old Century 5x7 which is too small for even the small packard. I'm using (more or less) the plans that Bob Fowler has on his site (http://mysite.verizon.net/fowler/photo/packard2.htm). Big shout out to Bob for the nice plans

Packard Shutter Info

Thank you, Ernest. Very handy.

Packard Shutter Info

Alan - glad to hear the design (more or less) is working for you.

Ernest - I make bulkhead fittings out of brass tube and 1/4"X20 Tee-nuts. I use the type of Tee nut that has 3 small screw holes rather than 3 prongs for attachment. I put the Tee nut in a vise and drill out the 1/4" threads using the drill press, then solder in a length of 7/32" brass tube. Drill a 5/16" hole in the lensboard and insert the bulkhead fitting, attach with 3 snall round head wood screws (#3 IIRC).

Packard Shutter Info

Bob, your fitting sounds good and will look more like the original Packard design.

Packard Shutter Info

you could do what I do, I use a short length of rubber tubing to a beaded aluminum tube, bent approrpriately, to an AN2 bulkhead fitting on the lensboard. Of course, I work with this stuff all day as an aircraft mechanic and I always have bits and pieces lying about...

erie