Thread: West Coast Photography

West Coast Photography

There is currently a very fine exhibition of photography at Los Angeles Valley College in Valley Glen. It is "Perceptions: Bay Area Photography, 1945-1960" and is a tribute to the original exhibition "Perceptions" which opened at the San Francisco Museum of Art in 1954.

The current LAVC exhibit opened on February 22 with a discussion by Dody Weston Thompson before a standing room only lecture hall audience. Dody was the organizing force behind the 1954 exhibit which later went on tour and featured some familiar names in the photography community: Edward & Brett Weston, Ansel Adams, Wynn Bullock, Dorthea Lange, Imogen Cunningham, Morley Baer, Minor White and other luminaries.

As the youngest participant in the original exhibit, at the age of thirteen, I am one of the few remaining of the original group of 46 photographers. The current exhibition is beautifully presented and will be on view until March 30. Be sure to check gallery hours.

West Coast Photography

Thank you for the 'heads up" Merg. I'll certainly try to get down there. It sounds like an interesting exhibition!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

West Coast Photography

Wish I could be there. It sounds wonderful. You are a great link to the historic origins of our genre and we are grateful for your participation in this forum. Hope you are doing well.
    Kirk
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

West Coast Photography

Thanks, Merg. Sounds like a must-see for those in or near SoCal, and a worthy excursion for those attending the Silver Conference. Unfortunately, I'll be stuck in Rio Rancho (at least it's better than Lodi ;-) ).