Thread: 4x5 / 5x7 Deardorffs

4x5 / 5x7 Deardorffs

I've been on the lookout on ebay for the small Deardorffs, and what's the deal with the 4x5 and 5x7? Are they virtually the same (except for small differences from production dates), only fitted with different backs?

But then the Baby 4x5 is an entirely different design, with a bed rail, is that right?

4x5 / 5x7 Deardorffs

Michael: The 4X5 is a real 4X5, aka "The Baby," and there just are not many of them around. The more common cameras are the 5X7 View and the "the Special." These are both 5X7's commonly seen with 4X5 backs in several different varieties. (Regular, Graflok, rotating Graflok, etc.) The early ones don't have front swings. When shopping for one of these, make sure the four glued pieces that make up the bed are tight with no separation at the joints since this is an expensive repair. There is a Deardorff historical site you can easily find with a Google search which covers the history and features of the various models. I commend the site, it is well done. Before having the creator of that site work on your camera, you might also do some web research so that you can make an informed decision.

I understand that some Deardorff models are now back in production by the latest incarnation of the company, but I am not sure which models are in production. I suspect the Special, having been a very popular field camera, would be near the top of the list for resurection.

wfwhitaker

4x5 / 5x7 Deardorffs

Except for the "Baby" which Kevin noted above, the 4x5 and the 5x7 are the same camera. The only difference is which back is on it. In other words, the 4x5 is really a 5x7 camera with a reducing back. If you're looking strictly for a 4x5 camera, you may find the Deardorff a bit large if you plan to backpack.

In addition to the lack of front swings on the earlier models, the lensboard size was different. Earlier ones used 4 1/2" boards; later models use 4" boards. I don't know if the changes happened together or independently.

4x5 / 5x7 Deardorffs

The idea of a 5x7 / 4x5 camera is pretty slick. The Agfa-Ansco Universal I have is the same way, allowing one to shoot 4x5 color, polaroids, roll film with adapters and also 5x7 for contacts and alternative processes. A very useful camera. Of course it means the camera is a bit larger and heavier than what a "true" 4x5 like the "Baby" would be, but you'll also get longer bellows (usually) and a more rigid camera (sometimes) with any 5x7. The 4x5 "Baby" is real slick, but they are rare and often quite pricey. If you want a 4x5 'dorff for hiking, the "Baby" is the one you want. If you've got a nice fat refund this year, see if Jack Deardorff can build you one. If not, either continue waiting for a used one to emerge from the woodwork or get your exercise with a 5x7/4x5 "Special"---or look for another camera. The old Zone VI built by Wisner looks kind of " 'dorffy" and would be worth looking at as an alternative.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

4x5 / 5x7 Deardorffs

Michael,

I managed to pick up a nicely restored 5x7/4x5 with both backs back some months ago from a retailer. Great camera as John said!

And, as Will said... the 4x5 and 5x7 bodies are the same.

It has a 22" (others say 24") bellows and weighs in at about 71/2 lbs, plus or minus depending on the back you're using.

I'd suggest buying one with a front swing on it... especially for resale value.

Jack Deardorff in Chicago is building these cameras again and also repairs and stores them. He doesn't have an email address or a website so you'll have to telephone him directly. He's quite the character and you'll be able to glean this from reading his catalog. It seems he's got quite a sense of humor!

I posted Jack's telephone number in another posting on Dorff cameras... do a search on "Deardorffs" and it should come up.

Good luck...

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

4x5 / 5x7 Deardorffs

Thank you for all the responses.

Seven and a half pounds! Whoa! The reason I got rid of my Sinar F1 was its weight, which should be around seven and a half pounds.. Wow!

I mean, it is a BEAUTIFUL camera... but right now I'm also being offered a Sinar F2 complete with a 150mm Sinar lens and accessories for $800. The Deardorff would costs around $1000+..

Kevin: the four glued pieces that make up the bed, do you mean those triangle shaped pieces??

Lastly, what would a baby deardorff sells for? Roughly, of course..

4x5 / 5x7 Deardorffs

Yes, those are the pieces I was referring to. Even a "line" in the finish means the old glue is starting to separate and it will gradually get worse. If redone with modern glues, I think it will outlast us both.