Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Forum Software Change

Forum Software Change

The software to which we are going to migrate, is fairly customizeable.

You can a look at vBulletin's list of sites here. There are literally thousands of implementations out there, some of them fairly attractive. It's encouraging to know that there is a large installed user base.

Perhaps some favorite "looks and feels" could be identified and recommended by members.

Forum Software Change

Ken,

A pig in a dress... is still a pig.

Forum Software Change

Thanks for all of the responses.

We (the "staff") really like the interface provided by the current software, too. Tom did an excellent job when he wrote the software. But, as Tom mentioned, neither adding various features that participants have requested, nor adding needed administrative functions are possible with the current software. On-going maintenance (e.g. software security issues) is also a problem. Thus, the decision was made to migrate to a commercially-supported forum package.

Part of the transition effort will be importing the archives, so that information base will still be available via the search function. (The ability to do this was also a major factor in the selection of the software.)

We're also trying to keep the structure of the new forum as simple as possible, in keeping with the current forum's style.

Forum Software Change

Ken: that is a good idea! Our forum is listed under "Miscellaneous" CrateArt.com --collectible art

Forum Software Change

Greg Miller hit it on the head! At some point, you'll realize that the new implementation is completely hosed. Then you'll be unable to return to the old system in spite of having a complete set of untouched backups on another server :-)

Back in the mainframe days, I just loved it when the IBM guys came in and told us about "seamless migration". Hey, just start a batch job and go home....what could be simpler? They could say that because they were in marketing and didn't actually have to DO it.

"Seamless migration" actually means, "You'll be up and running Monday morning only because it was a three day weekend and you didn't go home".

Forum Software Change

Well the old simiple look is hard to beat but we'll get used to the new version. Thanks to you all for all the hard work over the years making this site great. If there's anyting I can do to help let me know. I'd even send y'all a little money if its needed.

Forum Software Change

I honestly like the old look - Kinda like the ever successful Craiglslist. Just the facts! Easy to navigate.

just IMHO

Rich

Forum Software Change

I sure understand how one needs to deal with maintenance, and all that. You've all done a great job on this forum - it seems only natural that you'd pick something good for the next step.

Question - what about all the old content? I would like to still have access to it somehow, including some posts by our late friend John Cook. It would be nice to know that some of those good comments would live on. Any way to keep the past posts?

Forum Software Change

I'll miss the current look, and agree with Rich's Craiglist analogy. Simplicity rules.
    jbhogan

Forum Software Change

Ed - yes, the archives will be imported into the new system.