Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Software Change

Dave Karp

Forum Software Change

Thanks for all the work you folks have done in making this such a great running forum. Sorry it will change, but I completely understand. Hope the changeover goes well.

Forum Software Change

Frankly I am really disappointed. I appreciate your efforts but I LOVE the current look!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Forum Software Change

I fully share Kirk's sentiment. And I feel there's going to be a lot of it around, for two reasons, the bigger of them being the fact that this IS the cleanest and leanest looking forum around.

The other reason being that we are mostly a bunch of old(er) guys and change never sits well with this kind of demographic.

On the other hand, one's gotta do what one's gotta do.

Good luck with the transition

Forum Software Change

We'll all be used to it in a couple of days. I hope you can retain the ability to do searches of all the old threads... will they be closed off with the change?

Forum Software Change

"The other reason being that we are mostly a bunch of old(er) guys and
    change never sits well with this kind of demographic. "

I think some of the problem may come from the visual distractions a too fancy graphic design may impose. This includes too many buttons, options, categories, etc. I know the Invision software was way too complicated at the time for use to impose on our users. Another factor that I never like when viewing a forum for the first time is the need to register just to read the threads. We do not require this on our forum and only require registration if you want to post a message. A simpler, cleaner design can cure a lot of this IMO. "Keep it simple stupid" is a good design idea from the get go.

Forum Software Change

I will miss the simple and easy to use format of the present site. I've always found forum site's like APUG's to be a pain in the @ss to navigate. Too much crap to wade through to get to what's important.

Many thanks Tom and those that have kept this site running. I hope the new site will be as easy to use.

Jeff

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Forum Software Change

just promise us that the new software will be all analog. people will throw a fit if you start asking them to use digital sofware.

Forum Software Change

No moans nor groans here just heart felt thanks to Tom, QT and the moderators. What the forum team deserves is our continuing thanks for their time spent and continuing devotion. I don't want to tun this into a rant but if any web design professionals can aid and assist, wht not send Tom an email?

Forum Software Change

I am a retired graphic designer/pro photographer that would be more than happy to extend any help in anyway to the owners/moderators of this forum.

Forum Software Change

The possibility of a format change to this very popular board really troubles me. APUG really screwed the pooch, when they went to that overly complicated, visually BUSY format.

If the old addage..."Form Follows Function" really holds true, than this format should stay.

If, on the other hand, this present format envolves to much time and trouble for moderators, then I can understand their motivation. There is a price for everything in life. This board might see a dramatic drop-off in interest and posting of the APUG model is adapted.

Perhaps the real question might be...."Is the reason for change here, for the moderators,...or for the convenience of the audience..those of us who post here"?

The beautiful simplicity of this Forum, is one of it's greatest strengths. I hope you will not throw the bath water out, with the baby.

Respecfully submitted.

Richard Boulware in Denver.