Thread: How-to books on (photo Art Gallery ownership ?

How-to books on (photo Art Gallery ownership ?

Can anyone recommend good books or articles on starting, running and operating a (commercial) Photography Art Gallery? I want to better understand the ins and outs of this importatnt segment of photography: The "games" played, the tricks, the tips, the how-tos of selling, buying, consigning etc. In other words, how do people like Maggi Weston, Howard Greenberg, Russ Levin do it.

Suggestions?

The field is so narrow, I doubt you'll find a how-to book on gallery operations, Daniel. Similarly, I doubt you'll find any in-depth magazine articles delving into the operational tactics of successful galleries. Any artist who might write such a piece would likely be black-listed for disclosing trade secrets. Thus, my guess would be that this is one of those OJT things, where people learn the ropes by working for an existing gallery. But, I might be wrong on that.

Some of the folks here who sell through galleries may be able to shed some light on general practices from the artist's perspective, however.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

It depends a lot on what kind of gallery (and market) you're thinking about. If you're talking about a decorative art kind of gallery--one that sells a lot to walk-in customers or people online, mostly people who are not collectors, then you're basically talking about a retail establishment. There are lots of galleries like this. Many of them make the bulk of their profits on framing ... so there are tricks of the trade like that. But it strikes me as basic retail otherwise. There are probably a lot of sources in print and online that could get you started.

If you're talking about a gallery that sells to serious collectors, and that acts as a true representative to serious artists, then the only reasonable way in is apprenticeship. Everyone I know of who does well in this got started by working for someone else. In these galleries, your entire business is your artist roster and your client list--especially your client list--and it takes years and years to establish these.

Daniel....
    interesting I just saw this. I usually just lurk and read here but I actually do know something in this regard.
    Im finishing up the book "Living the Artist's Life" by Paul Dorrell. The title isnt deceiving but its written from the perspective of a Gallery owner. Its a wonderful book just on the unvarnished opinion of being an artist but also includes a whole lot about the realities of gallery ownership. He is brutally honest (which I found refreshing). Well worth the $15 price tag and worth a read or two for sure.

Hope that helps.

Matt

PS heres the website. http://www.livingtheartistslife.com/

I have these sitting on the floor, but haven't read them yet:

>The Art of Selling Art--Zella Jackson

>The Gallery Management Manual --Zella Jackson

>The Business of Art--Lee caplin

. . . for what it's worth