Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using Forte paper?

Anyone using Forte paper?

I wondering, for those who use Forte paper, what your favorite developer is. I tried out Zonal Pro tonight, and found it to produce very week blacks at standard dilution. Dektol is great, contrast-wise, but seems to leave greenish hues, diluted 1:2. What is your favorite?

Maine, but have lived and photographed extensively in Malaysia and France as well as New Jersey

E-72 works well. It gives a fairly neutral tone on Forte.

The formula is widely available on the web--try the APUG forum. It's a variant of D-72 but uses Phenidone and Ascorbic Acid instead of Metol and Hydroquinone.

I use Forte with Zone VI paper developer and the green tone is gone. The green that Dektol produces can be neutralized with selenium toner bath. It is a nice paper.

leec

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Ansco 130 and 120 are tough to beat. I used them exclusively for ten years or so on fortezo.

A few of us blabbed about 130 recently in this thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/505016.html

I have been using Forte Polywarmtone Semi-Matte w/ Dektol 1:1 & 1:2. Like you, I found the blacks a little weak. My darkroom is down for a move, but when I have it up again, I am planning to try the Ansco developer, and maybe amidol, along w/ nelson gold toning. With the Dektol, I found the blacks were stronger w/ fresh developer, and I didn't notice any green tone. I really like the ivory base of this paper and its overall look. Even though the I haven't got what I want out of it yet, it is a paper worth working with, especially now that my favorite Agfa Multicontrast Classic is gone.

I like Forte Polygrade V in Ilford's multi-grade developer. For slightly more contrast I use dectol. How fresh is your paper? Even slightly outdated paper will produce weak blacks. I've noticed this with this paper.

I rather like warm blacks that Forte can do so well. Here is the Ansco 135 formula but re-calculated to make a one time small batch of 850ml that is already at 1:1 dilution when mixed. I use it for a session and throw it away. But should you get interupted and want to keep it overnight, the 850ml with some carry off will fit perfectly into an empty dark wine bottle with no air space at the top. On glossy fortezo (will there be any more of this when my box is gone?) I can acheive d-max of 2.16 with fresh developer and a selenium bath.

Ilford Bromophen (their version of dektol).

Selenium toning at moderate strengths (e.g. 1:30) for brief time (2-3 minutes) knocks some of the green cast out (mid-tone green cast). Weaker solutions (e.g. 1:128) have no impact in my experience except at very long times. Strongly solutions (e.g. 1:3) go brown-purple in deeper tones. I like the way the toner stays away from the highlights in Forte Paper (Polygrade VB).
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

VersaPrint II, a glycol based developer from Fine Art Photo Supply, works exceptionally well with Forte. It does not keep well, though.

sorry, it's glycin, not glycol.