Thread: Calumet 6x12 back

Calumet 6x12 back

Does anyone here have direct experience with the new version of the Calumet 6x12 back? I am aware of the reputation of the old ones, but what about the new ones? I really want a 6x12 back which will work with the reflex finder on my Linhof.

Calumet 6x12 back

I briefly had the 6x7 version of the latest Calumet C2N. I often like to print medium-format negatives full frame with border, and I discovered that the C2N picture area came out with one ugly-looking ragged edge, corresponding to a piece of felt or velvet that served as a crude film guide and tensioner on one end. No well-finished rollers around the film gate like the ones I've been used to in most other types of rollholder I've used. Cheap. Blech.

For my 6x12 holder I ended up finding a used Sinar Panorama. It's also a slide-in type, robustly built and correspondingly big and heavy. Fussy to load, but it's got the flattest pre-exposure film path you'll find in a roll-holder.

Calumet 6x12 back

Were you happy with the film flatness?

The alternative for me is just to use 4x5 film and crop to 6x12. It's basically economics, since I have a bunch of Grafmatics, enough to carry more film than i can shoot in a session.

Calumet 6x12 back

I too had a Calumet C2N, if the 6x12 is anything like the 6x7 stay clear of it. It was badly made, bad spacing, bad mechanics, bad rollers, bad film flatness, bad everything.

Calumet 6x12 back

I've been using the C2N 6x12 for many years. Never had any problem with spacing. I needed to put a tape to "cut off" the format at the taking spool where otherwise was a slight light leak (it never touched the other picture though). It didn't change the film format . That was right at at the beginning - from that time on I use it extensively with no problem. It is very easy to operate and easy to load. I've never seen a problem with film flatness either. The hinge of the cover is badly designed - you may not force it to open widest with too much force, the hinge could be damaged.

Calumet 6x12 back

From the whole forum, am I the only one who uses the 6x12 Calumet ... or who cares to answer you about it? Incredible!

Dave Karp

Calumet 6x12 back

I have a C2 6x7 (the older metal version). It has been fine for me, if a bit awkward to load. Never tried the 6x12 version.

I have a friend with a c2N 6x9 which he uses fairly frequently and seems satisfied. Both of us have pretty high standards, so they can't be too bad. On the other hand, I have heard of many others who can't stand these holders.

Of course, we would both be happy if someone would give us a Sinar zoom multiformat holder, but that is another issue.