Thread: Mounting Prints in Mats

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Mounting Prints in Mats

I am in the process of framing several 16 X 20 inch prints. I used archival linen tape to attach to the print to the mat. Howver, it won't lay flat in the frame, and show several annoying buckles. Any suggestions of a tape or mounting technique that will avoid this problem? Or, perhaps I need to have the prints dry mounted? Thanks!
    Brian Vuillemenot

Dave Karp

Mounting Prints in Mats

I prefer to dry mount. Some will vociferously argue against it.

Other alternatives: If you have a 16x20 dry mount press available, you can flatten the prints in the press, sandwiched between two pieces of archival board and two pieces of release paper (the print is in the middle of all that).

I have heard others suggest an iron. I would protect the print with release paper if trying this route.

In either case I would follow the heating with some time under a flat surface with a heavy weight on top.

Geos

Mounting Prints in Mats

I'd recommend the Rollataq adhesive system.

Mounting Prints in Mats

an iron works fine. best to do it before the print is 100% dry whilst the paper fibres are still very slightly damp as this will make the fibres move into flat position and stay flat. If print has overdried before ironing it will buckle again over time.

Use iron on a cool setting and place print face down on a piece of matboard. The matboard must be free of any tiny particles such as hair otherwise you will end up with indentations in the print from the smallest of particles. No need of release paper. Just iron the back of the print directly with ample pressure.

one tip is DO NOT put iron down slightly on one edge as that will mark the print. Make sure it goes onto the print flat which is best done by placing iron on mat first and sliding it onto print.

Mounting Prints in Mats

Brian,

I would suggest using PMA. It stand for positionable mounting adhesive. It's made by3M. It's basically a double sided adhesive that is burnished onto the print, and then the print is burnished onto the mounting substrate. Have been using this for years without a problem. However, it's permanent and while it's noted by 3M to be acid free, I imagine you use it at your own risk. I've never had a problem with PMA and have used it on hundreds of photos from

8X10 to 30X40s. I mainly mount Fuji Crystal Archive and Epson Luster. Hope this helps. Jim

Mounting Prints in Mats

Brian,

Archival linen tape maybe archival, but it is not Brian,

Archival linen tape maybe archival, but it is not permanent. A number of my prints that are hanging at a regional hospital have come loose and slipped down into the matting. They were mounted using archival linen tape.

The reason your prints will buckle is because the coefficient of expansion of the photographic paper is different than the backing board. The other reason maybe because you have introduce tension into the print when you taped it. With the former there is nothing you can do about it. With the latter simply press the tape first to the print without stretching the tape in anyway. Then attach the print to the matt board again without stretching the tape or pint as you tape it down. This will help some. but not completely.

The smaller the print the less problems you will have because the linear edge of the print you use to tape it down will be less, and the difference of expansion between the two materials will be less. 8x10 will hang nicely. 16x20 will not no matter what you do.. A number of my prints that are hanging at a regional hospital have come loose and slipped down into the matting. They were mounted using archival linen tape.

The reason your prints will buckle is because the coefficient of expansion of the photographic paper is different than the backing board. The other reason maybe because you have introduce tension into the print when you taped it. With the former there is nothing you can do about it. With the latter simply press the tape first to the print without stretching the tape in anyway. Then attach the print to the matt board again without stretching the tape or pint as you tape it down. This will help some. but not completely.

The smaller the print the less problems you will have because the linear edge of the print you use to tape it down will be less, and the difference of expansion between the two materials will be less. 8x10 will hang nicely. 16x20 will not no matter what you do.

Mounting Prints in Mats

It appears that my previous comment was some how scrambled. Hopefully, you can read between the lines to figure out what I am trying to say.