Thread: tripod head repair

tripod head repair

Does anyone know of a repair service/person who works on Manfrotto geared (410) heads - preferably in So. Calif? This is a bit different than lenses etc. - but someone who has access to parts.

Or does anyone know how to open the thing up. I've had my Majestic apart several times - it's easy. But I don't want to jimmy up the cover plates or whatever they're called on the Manfrotto.

tripod head repair

Grump - The cover plates aren't really cover plates--they're paper labels. I learned this a year or two ago on some photography forum where there was a question about getting rid of 'play' in the head. Someone wrote in to say you could get rid of play by piercing the middle of the paper labels (between "410" and "Bogen") to get access to an Allen head set screw. Tightening it eliminates play. I would bet that removing it would be the first step in disassembling the head. Good luck.

tripod head repair

I brought tripod head to a local camera store that sells Bogen, Manfrotto, etc. They sent it to the manufacturer, and it was repaired perfectly. I don't remember how much it cost, but it wasn't much. They gave me a warranty for a year or two (don't remember), and the head was like new. It was money well spent.

tripod head repair

If you can't find somebody local send it to Bogen/Manfrotto. They repaired a Gitzo tripod for me and I was very pleased both with their service and their price. If you go to their web site (sorry I don't have the URL handy, just Google for it) you'll see a link to their repair service.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

tripod head repair

Thanks much! I am intrigued by the "paper label- alan screw" idea. I'll poke around a bit and see. Again thanks!

Re: tripod head repair

I have tried working on the 410 head and would recommend sending it to Bogen.
    Bogen Imaging Company
    ATTN: Service Dept.
    565 East Crescent Ave,
    Ramsey, NJ 07446

201-818-9500

If you want details about the inside of the 410 head: go to the Mafrotto site and look under service. It gives you all the details you want.

Peter

Per above poster see:

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/spare...pare_items=806

Also a pdf of the head from above site for reference.