Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wide Angle Lens Selection

Wide Angle Lens Selection

I am in the process of getting a wide angle lens for shooting landscapes and occasional architecture in 4x5. I can only buy one lens at this time, but would like to know your opinions on your experience with these lenses, and whether if i should go with a Schneider Super Angulon 72mm XL, or a Nikkor SW 90mm f4.5.

I currently use 165mm SA, 210mm, 400mm. I am thinking of getting a 72mm XL now, and down the road, may invest in a Schneider 110mm XL or 120mm SA. Also, do i need a center for 72mm?If i should go with the SW 90mm, then down the road, i may have to get a 58mm or 65mm SA to complete my lens arsenals. Thanks in advance for your help.

In commercial 4x5 architectural photography, the rule of thumb is 90% of your images are taken with a 90mm lens. With my personal b7w architectural photography it is more like 40% with a 90mm.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Beverly Hills, California

Kirk, I now you are a professional, im your opinion, is the Nikon SW 90 f8 usable as your standard 90 lens (image circle ~235mm) ?

Pretty hard to say what the widest useful lens is, since personal taste comes into play. The high popularity of 90mm lenses does suggest that many folks, including me, find it very useful.

Distortion becomes more and more of a factor as you go down from 90, along with mechanical limitations. Even with a bag bellows, my 65mm SA has limited tilt/swing, because the rear element slams into the ground glass. And at some point you will need a very expensive center filter.

90mm is as wide as I personally willingly go; I hang onto my 65mm only as a specialty tool, occasionally useful in narrow confines, for highrises, interiors, etc. It's a mystery to me why people use wider lenses, such as 58, 55, 47, unless they are shooting 120 or cropping. I'm sure someone will tell me why.

Until recently I had a 110mm SSXL; IMHO it is the widest lens useful for landscape.

I just recently bought a 72mm Schneider, and have found it to be a wonderful lens. It has plenty of movement, and is incredibly sharp. I have not bought the centre filter yet, but I think that at some point I am going to have to. I considered a 65mm lens before I bought the 72mm. and found the lack of movements to be a determing factor. I also use a 90mm, which before I bought the 72, was used for about 50 percent of my shots. I really doubt you will go wrong with the Schneider.

Hope it helps.

Gary

Scott Davis

Another lens to consider is the Rodenstock 75 or 90 F6.8. Not quite as bright as the F4.5s, but much lighter, more compact, and don't need a center filter. Also a fraction of the price. I got mine in like-new condition off Ebay, still in original box, for $450. As said here by other folks, I would not go wider than 75 because of the phyiscal limitations such a lens imposes. Frankly, unless you will be photographing in caves or medieval churches, I wouldn't spend the extra money on the super-fast glass.

I'd buy the 110 since you think you'll want it sooner or later. Its very much wider than your nearest lens, the 165mm. Not as different as the 72 but still plenty different. My second choice would be the 90 - Kirk's right about the 90 - you won't go wrong.

Mikael,

I have never used that Nikon but it should do fine. What kind of arch do you intend on photographing? Wider lenses than 90mm for architecture can be useful to solve problems sometimes but induce so much distortion that they usually are not the "Go to" lens. But in big cities with skyscapers they are a necessity. I use a 47, 65, 90, 120, 150, 210, and 305. All Schneiders except the 150 and 120 which are Nikons. Primarily the 90mm for 4x5 and the 65mm for 6x9 roll film.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Michael, I have a 75 and a 110. I use the 110 many times more than the 75. However I shoot mostly landscape. From the architecture that I have shot, I would prefer a 90 with a good amount of rise, to the 72, in general. I often shoot in low light, and I definately appreciate a fast lens.

90/4.5 Rodenstock. Best I've tried, it is an important lens for architecture and landscape.