Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On Craft, Science, and Art

On Craft, Science, and Art

Here is a thought provoking site, pointed out to me by my friend Allen Rumme, that talks about the relationship between science art and craft (in violin making) that has some paralleles to LF photography.

www.cranfordpub.com/otis/craft_science_art.htm
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

A good read.

Perhaps the single biggest difference is that in violin making you have historic examples of excellent instruments towards which you can strive. In photography there is no such ideal, and most often striving to re-create the excellence of the past is regarded as a sign that you lack talent.
    In violin playing the period instrument movement has parallels with the wet-plate and alt process revivals, but I don't know how much the luthiers and bow makers have needed to change their craft in response.

Kirk, thank you for sharing what in my view is an excellent and applicable analysis of the artistic process. It has long been my belief that the creation of great art is grounded in solid craft. I had not thought to incorporate the science component in my view, but completely agree with the author's view. I differ with Struan regarding the striving to re-create the excellence of the past. Assuming it is not the end in itself, I view it as a key part of one's development. It was in the work of past masters that I recognized the potential of photography, and was inspired to make the camera a part of my life. What is learned from emulating the past masters can be incorporated into one's personal vision; a step in the journey toward one's personal standard of excellence.

Thanks for the link to this very interesting website. Funny thing is that somebody asked just the other day how, with all the modern technology now available, no one has been able to duplicate all the qualities of a Stradivarius.

I see a strong relation between the process of making a violin and LF, as they both take time, they both entail esoteric skills that are specific to the respective activity, and there are historical as well technical elements that are part of the process, though
    a I see it, terms like "craft" and "science and "art" don't work well with photography outside of very specific and technical usage, at least where my efforts are concerned. Heres an analogy that strikes a chord of truth with me:

Go for a walk outside,
    stumble across cardboard box labelled "Light"
    Out of curiousity, open the box
    what do you see inside?

Ymmv, of course!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

"and most often striving to re-create the excellence of the past is regarded as a sign that you lack talent."

This is certainly true in some circles, for instance it is true where I teach at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. For me the first question always is "is it any good" not "is it new". They would reverse that statement. Despite my traditional aesthetic, I have somehow earned the respect of my avantguard associates, by doing what I do well. You are not likely to become a superstar in contemporary art circles doing traditional work, but if you are doing traditional work you are probably not seeking that audience anyway.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk.

Many thanks for bringing this article to the forum.

I am quite unable to match the artistic style of the writer - save to say:

It supports the theory that a unique syampathetic understanding exists between artists in relation to their respective functions or disciplines.

I'll concede that it is probably still true that in our technological age we still haven't recreated (that is, fully understood) the great Strads. Then again, neither has any luthier from any time in history equaled his work. IOW, it's not just the fault of the engineers - the luthiers can't do it either ;-)

Last time I checked (about 10 years ago maybe) engineers had come fairly close. I seem to remember a violin that was said to be about 90% of a Strad - made of injection molded plastic. I think I remember an article that said that Perlman had played it and had some quotes from him, but that could be something else - it's been awhile. Anyway, it supposedly felt bad in the hand, but sounded quite good to the ear. They used plastic because wood is so variable.

Digression aside, one of the things this article brings up is the new vs. old idea. As Kirk says, many institutions of higher learning as well as museums and collectors are more interested in new. And since beauty, in paintings, sculpture, music, violins, photography, writing, etc. was what people were after in the beginning, beauty is "old" to these institutions and people.

I find that idea sad and tragic, and refuse to subscribe to it. I guess that puts me square in the category of having a "traditional aesthetic" or, as some will undoubtedly point out, the category of "old fogy." So be it.

Bruce Watson

Abuser of God's Sunlight

" I differ with Struan regarding the striving to re-create the excellence of the past. Assuming it is not the end in itself, I view it as a key part of one's development."

it can be a part of one's development ... but it's not the part that you'll be remembered for. the key part is when you're work starts to look like your work and not like someone else's.

"As Kirk says, many institutions of higher learning as well as museums and collectors are more interested in new. And since beauty, in paintings, sculpture, music, violins, photography, writing, etc. was what people were after in the beginning, beauty is "old" to these institutions and people."

Amen !

In a technological culture, Newness is a surrogate for Beauty.

Newness is easier to market and sell. It requires no special inspiration and talent. It can be manufactured.

More thoughts:

A violin is a tool, so is a camera, but a photograph as a tool is difficult for me to fathom (evidence? medical x-rays? rare applications that probably don't apply here)

Big difference when referring to historical excellence as something to shoot for. Perhaps a more fitting comparison would be between violins and LF cameras, rather than violins and photographs.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White