Thread: Toyo 4x5 with 6x9 Roll Film Holder - Bag Bellows?

Toyo 4x5 with 6x9 Roll Film Holder - Bag Bellows?

I have a toyo 4x5 field camera and just bought a 6x9 roll film back. if i go down to a 75mm lens will i need to switch to a bag bellows?

Joe,

I am using a Toyo 45AII, and to the best of my knowledge there aren't any bag bellows for the field cameras. I am awaiting the arrival of a recessed lensboard right now, but I can focus my 72mm Schnieder albeit with limited movements, on a flat lensboard and a linhof adapter board.(all my lens are mounted on linhof boards). I don't think you will have any problems with a 75mm lens at all, especially if you are not using any adapterboards or the like.

Hope it helps.

Gary

lazy retired bum

Gary is correct, I own a Toyo Field camera and the bellows is fixed, not interchangeable, so a bag bellows is not an option. 75mm is 75mm, the lens will focus at infinity at or about 75mm from the film plane. The focal length of a lens is independent of the film size. The image circle of a lens is dependent on its optical design and the f/stop at which it is used. Most 75mm lenses do not have a huge image circle so have limited movements on 4x5 anyway; the movements will be relatively greater with smaller film. You'd have to check the specs of your particular lens. A recessed board will compress the bellows less and allow for any movements that might be possible.

I have a Toyo-Field 45A. With a 75mm lens on a flat board I can only get about 5mm of rising front. When the lens is mounted in a board with a 1 inch recess I can get about 20mm of rising front. I understand Toyo no longer makes the board with 1 inch of recess and now offers one with about a half inch of recess.

The board still available has a 12mm recess as opposed to the 25mm discontinued board.
    Regards,
    Robert

The 25 mm recess board is on sale at E-bay at least a couple of times each year.

I have a 65 mm with the 25 mm board and i have usable movements, but

avoid getting the camera bed in the picture if you use lens drop. Use the

drop bed instead.

Maine, but have lived and photographed extensively in Malaysia and France as well as New Jersey

Since you can use a Linhof-style board, I recommend getting Wista's special lensboard for wide-angle lenses. Instead of the usual recessed design which makes for cramped access to the lens controls, Wista makes one that's in two pieces-- a flat back plate on which the lens is mounted, but then there is a front plate with four posts in the four corners connecting it to the back plate. The sides are open, permitting easy access to the shutter and aperture controls. Very practical. I got mine with my Wista from Robert White in England who carries the full line. I use it with a 65mm lens.

The Wista does have interchangeable bellows and I use the bag bellows for the 65, though it's possible to use it without the bag bellows if I'm content with no movements. The nice thing about the Wista bag bellows is that I can use it with my 90 and my 180 as well. Anything over 180 demands the longer bellows, however.