Thread: Buying/Ordering QL in Zürich, Switzerland?

Daniel Geiger

Buying/Ordering QL in Zürich, Switzerland?

I am going to Switzerland and France in June and will bring my 4x5 along. I intend to purchase preordered film in Zürich, Switzerland (avoid one Fedex shipment/x-ray). Can someone recommend a shop in downtown Zürich where I may pre-order Quickloads for pick-up on a specific date? Thanks.

one place you might try is:

http://www.eschenmoser.ch

when I was there 6 years ago they were the biggest camera store but I wasn't into LF then so I don't recall what they kept in the way of LF film. There was also a very good pro shop in the old city but I can't remember what its called which isn't much help.

Just curious,

Just curious, but why do you think ordering from a dealer avoids X-rays? Unless perhaps it was manufactured in the EU and going to CH.

Steve

Oh, and just for hoots and giggles, Switzerland isn't part of the EU.

Steve

Hi Daniel,

Fujifilm Switzerland has stopped importing QuickLoad and only deliver on preorders which can take up to 3 months and require a certain amount. Some shops may still have some stock, but it will become hard if not impossible to find any here. Sorry for the bad news.

Since more than three years we can't get Quickloads from Fuji, and that goes for France, Germany and Switzerland. Fuji's organisation seems kind of slack when it comes to satisfy the needs of the dear custumers...
    Ordering from the UK is solution, but with EasyJet I can get there myself - for they same price they charge for the package!
    You might be better off to bring your films over and let them process in Switzerland - best is Studio 13 in Zürich and AWP in Basel.

Andreas

Daniel Geiger

Thanks for the various, even contradictory, replies. Much appreciated.

Rob: Eschenmoser had good deals on Kodachrome back in the day when I grew up on Basel. But never struck me as a "serious" place.

Steve. Ah, yes, the Eidgenossen doing their own thing. As alwyas. Maybe I can't avoid it x rays completely, but I can try to reduce the number of passages through the machines.

Andreas and Peter: thanks for the pointers. will check them out.

Scott Davis

Daniel - don't sweat the xrays. I've taken Infrared film to Cambodia and back, and it went through xrays in Singapore, Cambodia, Singapore again, Amsterdam, New York, and Washington DC. Not a drop of fog anywhere. Same with my low speed color film. Trying to skip one or at most two carryon xrays is false economy. You'll pay MUCH more for your film if you buy it in Switzerland than you will if you buy it stateside and bring it with you. As long as you bring your film with you in your carryon luggage it will be fine. You can ask for (and may very well get) hand inspection at the airport here in the US and in Switzerland. The only place to worry about it is if you put your film in checked baggage - MAJOR no-no. The inspection machines there will pump out a LOT more juice than the carryon xrays. Your film will get higher exposure to radiation while in the plane than it will in the xray machine - the same exposure it got while shipping from the Fuji plant in Japan to the distributor in the US or wherever it ended up.