Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new Fotoman cameras... emerging from the vapor?

new Fotoman cameras... emerging from the vapor?

Was just over at the Badger Graphic site to order a lensboard and I noticed that the Fotoman LF listing has been updated. Now it's projecting March 2006 delivery, but they've added pictures that look like finished product for both the 4x5 and 8x10 P&S cameras. There's also a new one - a 4x10 P&S camera, though no pictures of that one yet. I guess they've been reading Kerry's stuff. Nothing new yet on the Fotoman site, alas.

Links to the Badger info from here:

www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=109

I wonder if the viewfinder mount will accept the Linhof multifocus finder. That would be a plus.

I have mounted the Linhof multifocus finder on my Fotoman 624 with no problem, but I am also getting the new Fotoman 624 viewfinder. Anyway, Fotoman's accessory shoes seem completely standard to me.

Jerry, what is the build quality like with the Fotoman line? I am intrigued by the 6x12 and the 4x5 P&S. The 6x12 looks pretty sturdy, but the big queston has to do with the tolerances and film flatness.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Really makes me wonder what type of 4X10 film holder their 4X10 will take...
    Brian Vuillemenot

Roger, the Fotoman roll film cameras are supposed to have quite good film flatness, because the film path doesn't have the backward twist typical of separate roll holders, and if I recall correctly it's also possible to use the knobs to tension the film.

As for the 4x10 holder type, I really do hope Paul Droluk has been following Kerry's writings on the topic...

Oren - As for the 4x10 holder type, I really do hope Paul Droluk has been following Kerry's writings on the topic...

I "consulted" with Paul Droluk on the design of the 4x10 Fotoman. By "consulted", I mean I recommended (strongly) that they base their design on Keith Canham's 4x10 film holders. They are the most readily available and least expensive (by far) 4x10 film holders. As a result, the Fotoman 410 Point & Shoot will be compatible with the Canham holders.

Like the 4x5 and 8x10 models, the Fotoman 410 will have the new, improved Fotoman helical focus mount and view finder. Coupled with a wide angle lens, like the 110mm Super Symmar XL, it should be a fun camera to use - and at $899.95, it is priced attractively as well.

Kerry

Roger, on the Fotoman 624, I wasted a few rolls of film checking film flatness, and it looks excellent to me. (Some of my other roll-film holders had to be repaired.) The build quality is terrific---so rigid that you could use it as a hammer if you had to.

When you switch lenses, you only fog one image---the film is that flat. Or zero images if you have not yet wound to the first frame.

Oren, yes you are right, you can indeed back up the film if you wind too far, and you can use the backwinding knob also to tension and further flatten the film. I wish all of my roll-film holders could do the same trick.

In September 04 Paul Droluk was touting (on Photo.net) this camera as having the 47 -210 mm lens range and the possibility of 18 mm movement in 4 directions. What happened to this idea? Also, Fotoman announces its price as 599.95 $...

Hello all. Yes we are "emerging from the vapor", or rather from our move to new digs. Roger... the Linhof Multifocus Finder will fit, though it's a lot heavier than ours and doesn't have an internally viewable bubble level. Kerry... I wouldn't dream of not taking your advise. The Canham holder is the one we've based our 4x10 on, but I think your recent aticles have created a shortage. We've been waiting a month for ours and still no promise date. We actually have a 4x10 prototype camera (and cone for 110XL) and we'll be posting pic's on our site as soon as it is anodized and coated. gps... our original 4x5 design (w/4-way shift) proved to be problematic from a manufacturing standpoint. The ability to use movements will however become available when we launch our bellows adapters in mid-summer. They will replace the cone, but affix to the camera in the same manner, and offer rise/fall/shift and tilt. Their will be a bellows adapter for each of our cameras... 612, 617, 624, 4x5, 4x10 and 8x10. Lastly, we are working feverishly on our new website which we hope to have up and running by March 1st.