Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Photography

Hybrid Photography

I just came across this article Unfrozen in time in the publication The Economist. Some have wondered if digital is sweeping the photographic world why are LF products being snapped up so quickly when on sale at stores or Ebay. Well according to this article there is quite a resurgance of people returning more to the early photographic processes for various reasons. I myself am one of those who are hybrid users, combining old process with the new digital ones. The article mentions an exhibit at Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center at The University of Texas at Austin. Unfortunately I'm not in that area so I wont' get to see it but it sounds interesting.

Hybrid Photography

So this has got me wondering how many of you out there are combining new digital techniques with older, traditional methods. A quick pole with responses would be interesting. I myself am currently photographing with a 4x5, using B&W film and color transperencies, scanning the images, working them on the computer and outputting color on Chromira using Fuji Crystal papers and using the Epson4800 and 9600 for B&W on various papers through a third party. What are you other hybrids doing?

Hybrid Photography

Well, I pretty much shoot a variety of formats. I started out in 35mm and then went to 4x5. Since then, I've done a little medium format with a Contax 645 and also ventured into the digital realm with a 20D and 1DSmII. On top of all that, I'm shooting mostly 8x10 at the moment. Now with that all said, I'm primarily ending up with a digital file with further processing in Photoshop no matter what format I start out in. I just absolutely love the control and precision that Photoshop allows me to have.
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com
    Instagram: @mikebodenphoto

Hybrid Photography

I shoot film and wet darkroom the B&W, color is a squirt job.

Hybrid Photography

I shoot both E6 and B&W. I have outside labs process both, and have the E6 drum scanned and digitally printed (usually via a Chromira printer on Fuji supergloss paper). I have the B&W traditionally printed, although I am watching the on-going developments in digital B&W printing (at some point I'll probably switch over).

Hybrid Photography

Hello. I recently bought a Canon S70, which is basically a very fancy 7 megapixel point and shoot digital camera. Taking the place of my 35mm system, I bought it for family event pictures. Of course, as a amateur photographer I am interested in good quality photos, as well as well-seen photos. However, I am not interested in aggressively pursuing the fine points of digital photography. I am still learning and refining LF B&W, wet darkroom photography, and that is were my interest remains. As long as I am able and materials are available I will focus on lugging the 8x10 around, and process in the wet darkroom. It has something to do with the tradition of Stieglitz, Strand and Weston, and working with my hands; and nothing to do with which process is "better". When I can't, for whatever reason, do LF, wet darkroom B&W photography anymore, I will switch to digital.

Hybrid Photography

I've no intention of switching to digital. While digital has its uses, I want my black & whites made traditionally---and I want to make 'em myself. :-)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Hybrid Photography

i do most of my shooting with 35mm film. E6 i develope at home and scan, color i drop off at the 1 hour for processing of negs only, i shoot mostly wild life and this works out good dew to the limited number of "keepers" worth printing.

a while back i got a good deal on a 645 system and tried it for landscape shots, while the larger negative was impressing, it wasn't that much biggger....

as a self employed carpenter i have a well set up shop, and stared looking into making my own 4x5, dew to the size of peices i figured it would be just as eazy to build a 5x7 with a 4x5 extra back. the 5x7 is very near completion and i plan to develope my own B&W and E6, then scann for printing.

while digital EOS bodies do catch my eye, i would rather invest in more glass at this time, and i like knowing that all my shots are stored on negatives, as oposed to a media that might not be readable in the long run. besides i am terible at making backup files but i can always rescan a neg or slide.

Hybrid Photography

I print both color and black and white in the darkroom. I also drum scan and create new negatives for both enlarging and contact printing on a small lightjet. So I am a hybrid user, but I like the all analog process better, if it is practical.

I use the hybrid approach to fix problems in the negatives. To contact print on Azo from smaller negatives. To make a black and white print from a color image. Or when I just can't get the color right on Ilfochrome I will make a color negative and print that way. I avoid inkjets except for proof prints and snaps of the family that were taken on a digital camera.

Hybrid Photography

I shoot 4x5 B/W & Color, hand process my B/W, drumscan and print on Epson 4000/9600 B/W & Color through RIP.