Thread: dropped Pentax meter

Old School Wayne

dropped Pentax meter

A few weeks ago I dropped my Pentax V analog spotmeter. Ever since then, its occasionally not worked at all then 5 minutes later its fine. There is no in-between, its all or nothing. I dont have the money to buy a new one or have this looked at by a repair pro right now. Has anyone been inside one of these things that could give me some idea what to look around for, or should I keep out of it and hope it works when I need it?

dropped Pentax meter

I have had similar problems. To not get it fixed is like playing Russian roulette. It will get worse. Send it to Richard Ritter. www.lg4mat.net/
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

dropped Pentax meter

Wayne,

I had a similar problem with my Pentax spotmeter, and discovered that the battery compartment has a poorly attached disc that the battery presses against. In my case, that disc came loose and the meter worked sporadically, and then not at all. I took it apart (see post on this) and fixed it with crazy glue. I would only attempt this if you feel confident messing with your expensive meter. If not, send it to Kirks recommendation.

You might check to see if the battery goes into the meter too far. It could happen if you dropped it.
    Good Luck

Brad

Old School Wayne

dropped Pentax meter

You might have it nailed, Brad. Shortly after I dropped it I changed the batteries because I thought they were dead, not realizing yet that it was broken. BUt as soon as I changed them it worked again, temporarily. Maybe changing the batteries jogged the disc just enoughto get it working. Another time I removed them and replaced them again with just that thought in mind, and it worked again. I'll check that in the morning. I'm not afraid to go in there, the worst that can happen is I have to send it to the guy Kirk suggested.

dropped Pentax meter

I agree with the diagnosis. A digital meter like the Pentax has no moving parts that could be damaged by a fall. It is possible that the optical components could be damaged by a sufficiently large shock, but I doubt that a normal fall would do that. The most likely explanation by far is that the battery is not delivering power to the meter.