Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just where does ULF start?

Just where does ULF start?

Well now, imagine my surprise finding out 5x7 is listed as a size decided on in the ULF Kodak buy.

Now for my question. I always thought ULF started after 8x10? How did you guys decide on 5x7? Not complaining, in fact I will be ordering some when hits the website.

Only labels. I don't worry about LF ULF or UFOs. HA!

Initially my objective with putting the Kodak deal together a year ago was to very specifically sequester ULF demand for this emulsion since it had never been cut in these larger sizes. When Kodak stopped saying NO to my persistent hounding I got John at J&C onboard and we went directly to the LF/ULF community and asked them for their input on the sizes they were interested in and would subsequently support. We were both pleasantly surprised with the response for TMY in 5x7 so we just went with it. Our singular focus became just listening to the feedback and accomodating it. As a direct result of this process, J&C will stock 5x7 TMY in the future.

Cheers!

Since I never thought of 5x7 as anything close to ULF, I only followed this deal with a passing interest. I will be buying a couple of boxes when JandC lists them, if any is left after the preorders are taken care of. WIll there be any left after the preorders are sent out?

Mark

It probably should also be pointed out that prior this "large special order" Kodak was already offering TMY through stockhouse dealers in both 4x5 and 8x10 but not in 5x7. Including 5x7 is a very nice thing for those who can use it and the 5x7 orders will help the ULF cause. I believe that Michael and John are to be commended for their efforts.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

I always thought of "ULF" as 11x14 and on up, but hey, if it makes the Tmax 5x7 deal go any easier to call it "ULF", go for it.

On the other hand, it's all perspective. remember the 110 format film? Met somebody once shooting the same thing as me, him with his 110, me with my 4x5. he asks me what kind fo camera I am using, so I tell him it's "large format" and I hold up a film holder for him to see. He gives me a bewildered look and says "that's a really super-duper large format!".

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

John is offering until Sunday of this week for the pre-sale discount for any sized film in response to customer demand including 5x7.

Once we get a ship date from Kodak and J&C receives the film, it will be a stock item at straight retail prices so you can order it at your descretion on the web.

I predict that when alt process photographers and other consumers can experience this emulsion first hand and rely upon a long term supply to meet their needs TMY will be one of the most successful LF/ULF films we have ever been able to shoot.

What a way to kick off 2006.

Cheers!

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Mamutphoto counts 8x10" as "small" format and 11x14" as "medium"...

But 5x7" is definitely not ULF. RLF, perhaps (Real Large Format, large enough for contact prints)?

I think of 5X7" as RPF = Real Perfect Format.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I think of ULF as larger than 8x10" (and excluding 8x10").