Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why make photographs?

Why make photographs?

I am hard-wired for the need to discover and understand things in my world. For me, the Creation exists to be discovered. Discovery and Spirituality are equivalent to me. The camera allows me this discovery.

I am continually led to the point of having to just sit and wonder. Attempting to wrap intellect around the larger issues which photography brings me to simply fail. The camera for me is like a vehicle on which I ride. It brings me to the point where I don't need it, or can no longer use it to experience what I am brought to.

Why make photographs?

Keeps me off the streets, outta trouble, and a steady influx of my capital helping keep the self-employed eBay professionals in business.

I haven't quite got it worked out well enough to make up moving artistic statements, goals for mankind, or much of anything other than fun.

But, fun's still a good enough answer....

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Why make photographs?

for me, photography is like sex - if you have to think about why you are doing it, maybe you shouldn't be there to begin with.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Why make photographs?

And to expand on Joe's comment: Always keep a condom in your camera bag. Eighteen percent grey. Nothing kinky.
    "I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell

Why make photographs?

There are the usual monetary reasons for professionals, often we do things for friends, sometimes as a reaction to or statement about something, sometimes we feel the need to document an event or thing, maybe it's a teaching tool, sometimes it's just a souvineer...

But in my own personal photography, the answer to the question, "why?" is the same as the answer to most other questions about why we do what we do... "Because I want to."

Why make photographs?

I have found that acceptance is much more soothing to the soul than understanding.

Why make photographs?

I'm going with Mark on this one; I like it, therefore I do it.

- Randy

Michael E. Gordon

Why make photographs?

I do it for the groupies!

Why make photographs?

I tried my hand at music, and have been banging on guitar for a number of years (has it been 35 years?) and though I have no talent or skill for playing music, I have found that the effort of concentrating on music made me more aware of the sounds, and music around me. I found that I listened more carefully, and appreciated more the sounds around me. So it has been with photography; in the study of other people's work as well as my own. Especially with LF, I find that taking the time to focus my attention on the scene, has made me more attentive, appreciating more the world around me. As someone said, "taking time to smell the roses". In doing so I find that I can more easily find meaning, and sometimes beauty in the grotesque and ugly. I like to think of it as art's gift to man.

Why make photographs?

It brings me to the point where I don't need it, or can no longer use it to experience what I am brought to.
    Yes there are people to whom travel has to have a purpose, just going to "get away from it all" is not a reason. I know a couple of people that therefore invent an excuse - its all on an unconcious level. Like fishing -- "I'm going fishing" - a vailid reason to go away to a distant place. "I'm going hunting" same thing -- some people a change of pace is all thats needed "I'm going to the mall" you can tell thats whats going on - they rarely buy anything, or catch anything.
    So its no surprise that there are people with camera in hand (and they might be pros 5 days a week) who say "I going to get some pictures this weekend" Its really the same reason.

Maybe I'm the other way - I get away to a remote location - and everything for a while is the shoot - I look for the composition, I'm absorbed in what I do. When I put the camera away I look again I see everything differently then --- maybe it the non-picture pefect thing that catches my eye.

I do it for the groupies! What am I doing wrong - er I've never seen any groupies around?