Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how old is too old...

Abuser of God's Sunlight

how old is too old...

"none of us is likely to break into boxing ..."

that's why we settle for flaming.

how old is too old...

Wow, you grew up fast! Only 42 days.

I believe you mean you have made 42 trips around the sun. I begin my 78th trip next week.

You are never too old to start. I teach photoraphy at a Community College and it is not unusual to have beginning students in their 50's 60's and even occasionally 70's.

Keep the mind and body active in order to stay vertical rather than perpetually horizontal.

how old is too old...

At the age of 55, I am wishing someone would invent an auto-focus back for 8X10... I hate being pointed at for wearing drugstore glasses over my bifocals, while trying to look through the loupe and muttering to myself.

In time I will give out, but I won't give up...

how old is too old...

I`m thinking about going to a digital view so i get instant results. It`s an age thing.

Don`t buy green banannas either.

how old is too old...

Sure, go for it. But . . .

Aside from the physical issues associated with chronological enrichment, the optimal attributes vary for different types of work, as I'm sure you recognize, Percy. When dealing with people as subjects, there is a certain dynamic that exists between photographer and subject (or, model) that contributes to the success of the images. Good portrait photographers, for example, are quick to establish a comfortable rapport with the subject, even if short-lived, so they can coax good expressions from the subject.

It would be less than honest to ignore the fact that within the realms of fashion, glamour, and some types of editorial, part of that model/photographer dynamic is the sexual tension that may exist, even when all parties have the most-professional of objectives and intentions. Once the photographer passes 30 revolutions of the Earth around the nearest star, most of that sexual tension evaporates. This, I think, is particularly true with younger, less-experienced models who have not yet mastered the skill of projecting the emotion being called for by the photographer. While it can be compensated for through good directorial skills, it's still gone. In the model's subconscious, "Is this the one?" is replaced with thoughts of "uncle, father, or grand father", and that may show in her expressions unless some extra work goes into the shoot from both sides. Extra effort from the photographer may also be required to overcome the PWC (pervert with camera) assumption the model might make, so she is comfortable and confident within that context.

Similarly, most editorial work will be assigned by "twenty-something" art directors. While it might be easily argued that they aren't old enough to know what they are doing, they are still the person in charge (usually), and will be more inclined to work with photographers who demonstrate they are in tune with current, youthful styles.

So, while I wouldn't suggest that you opt only for landscapes, it may be helpful to acknowledge what you'll be up against when competing with younger shooters.

That's my two cents, anyway.

how old is too old...

Come on guys he's only 42. That makes dating twenty- somethings fair game. At least a 15-20 year age difference isn't surprising in the circles I travel. So why would it seem odd for a 42 yr old photographer to shoot a 24 yr. old model? Percy go for it. You're just a baby. What would be worse would be to look back in 15 yr and say, " I wish I would have done that." Just be very professional about your approach. Portrait and fashion photography scares a lot of photographers away. No longer are they in complete control of the composition. There is another person or persons involved. It then becomes a collaboration. Personally I find it very challenging and rewarding. I find that models open up and relax around us "older" guys more so than they do around some hot young stud with a camera who they feel they need to impress. It seems it is easier for them to get into character and much easier to give the photographer what he is trying capture when they don't have to worry about whether or not they're going to look just right for the young handsome guy holding the camera. So go for it. Even the failures will be fun.

how old is too old...

Age is only a number

"Old" is a state of mind.

how old is too old...

"Age is only a number
    "Old" is a state of mind"

Just curious, how old are you?
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

how old is too old...

Percy,

You are not too old. Just be aware that you are starting out on a very tough road. If you already have retirement figured out, a cheap or paid for place to live and a reliable car then go for it. But its not going to be easy and you might find yourself ten years older and still not making any money from photography. I wonder how anyone makes a living doing editorial work or even buys gear to do the work. Go assist a successful photographer for at least a year before you take the plunge. Please take this kindly - thats how I mean it.