Thread: preparing images for European press

Abuser of God's Sunlight

preparing images for European press

Does anyone have experience preparing scans for offset printing in european magazines? I've read conflicting advice about what profile to use, and I'm hesitant to start pestering an editor with technical questions (he barely understands what I'm talking about anyhow!). If anyone can tell me the benefits of Euroscale v2 vs. FOGRA vs. just leaving the files in adobe RGB and letting them figure it out, I'd be grateful.

Just deliver your files as RGB´s. If you want to deliver CYMK files you need to know what profile the printers
    use and you need to have your computer monitor (screen) adjusted to the same norm as theirs.

Second that, just send RGB and hope that you get one of the fabled super quality control Euro printers and not one of the unfabled schlock houses. If the liasion doesn't know what a profile is, what hope do you have?

I don't know what magazine it is and what your relationship with them is, but I would call up the mag and ask who's doing the pre-press work and can you talk to them since you have a technical question. Of course the editor won't know, it's not his job. They're not going to bite your head off for trying to do a job well and make their life easier for putting in the right profiles. And if they're being arrogant and put-offish about it, just deliver them RGB and let them sort it out by themselves if that is what they want.

yes, if you can get through to the production people, then there is a better chance that your work will be done with care, especially if you both understand the jargon. i'd give them a phone find out who is the production manager and have a chat, tell them how you usualy print, what to look out for, etc etc...

RGB is too risky. One wrong click when opening the image, and result is disaster. Better send them as LAB files. That way, the color meaning is unambiguous to all Photoshop users. Better to send a LAB file than an RGB file unless you know for a fact that the correct RGB flavor will be used by the recipient with 100% probability. If he does not know how to convert your LAB file, he likely would have screwed up your RGB file anyway.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

thanks for the info, guys. i finally got an answer from them so i won't have to guess. they're happy with adobe rgb, which is what the files are in already. happy day.