Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x5, is it worth it?

4x5, is it worth it?

I recently bought a new Toyo 4x5 and some extras. My dilema is wether to pump the money into building a complete system, considering the following concerns, or just dump the 4x5 format altogether and get a medium format system and continue busting my balls packing my 8x10 around for the large format work.

1) Currently I'm not able to print conventionally where I live even if I could afford a quality 4x5 enlarger and all that is needed. 2) I hear there are no affordable dedicated 4x5 film scanners on a par with the ones for roll film, such as the Nikon 9000. 3) If I go with a roll-film back in the toyo, I probably wouldn't get the same sharpness as from a medium format system. 4) The angle of view from a typical collection of 4x5 lenses would wind up being telephoto lenses with a roll-film back unless I selected super-wide lenes and the toyo doesn't accept bag bellows. 5) 4x5 negs are a bit small for contact printing.

Given these conditions and my perceptions, it seems that perspective control is the only real advantage of continuing with the 4x5.

I'm sure others have faced this decision...am I missing some options or merits of the 4x5 given the fact that I can't afford a drum scanner or use a 4x5 enlarger where I live? Should I continue to print 8x10 contacts but be limited to shooting close to a car and bag the 4x5 idea?

I guess in the end it all comes down to money...which I don't have much of, so I could benefit from opinions rather than regrets.

Thanks for any help!
    Robert

4x5, is it worth it?

You are becoming an equipment junkie. You need help.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

4x5, is it worth it?

Robert, I began shooting 4x5 this year. I don't have the room for a darkroom, or drum scans, so I use an Epson 4990. I gives results suitable for 11x14 or perhaps 16x20 prints.

I wanted to have better quality scans from the 4990 and the posibility to make contact prints, so I have just purchased a 5x7. I see it as the Goldilocks format. Of course most things in photography (life) involve compromises. But that is my solution. Time will tell if it satisfies me.

4x5, is it worth it?

Because I already owned a Minolta Multi Pro dedicated scanner and a 6x6 system, I went with a Horseman VHR with a 6x9 back. It's limiting when it comes to the telephoto range but I get some fantastic scans - I haven't printed anything larger than 12x18 but I hope to someday.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

4x5, is it worth it?

with 4x5, the scans you can get from a low to middle end flatbed scanner are remarkable. for all but very large prints, they will be better than what you can do with an enlarger.

4x5, is it worth it?

Nope, skip 4x5, skip 5x7, skip 8x10, even skip 11x14, go directly to 20x24. Don't forget to get your "get out of jail" card on the way. HA!

Of course 4x5 is worth it. It's not the gear. It's how you use your imagination with whatever tool you have on hand to make a compelling image.

Get a chisel and some stone if you like.

Eric Biggerstaff

4x5, is it worth it?

I think 4X5 is worth the effort for sure, but why not try 5x7?

I am leaning hard towards selling my 4X5 cameras and getting a 5X7 with a 4X5 reducing back. Gives me the best of both worlds, the 5X7 will make wonderful contacts and I can still use the 4X5 for images I might want to enlarge in the darkroom and for those where the more square shape of the 4X5 would suite the subject better. Also, no need for more lenses ( yeh,sure) as those that I have for my 4X5 will work with the 5X7.

Just a thought.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

4x5, is it worth it?

I second Hugh's opinion. If money is an issue - as for most of us - then I would advise you to stick to rollfilm and a 2x3" field camera. The results from a good flatbed scanner like the Epson 4990 just can't match what a Polaroid Sprintscan 120, Nikon 9000, etc are able to deliver.

I have printed 2x3"-slides, scanned with the Sprintscan 120, at 60x90 cm (+/- 23x35 inch) and they just look fantastic.

If I could afford an Imacon for 4x5" , then I might switch to 4x5, but I simply don't see why I should spent all that money on a larger camera and film/processing and give away the quality advantage by scanning on a flatbed afterwards.

Good luck

4x5, is it worth it?

Robert,

Digital is not cheap to do. B&H prices a Nikon 9000 for $1800 which is not cheap. When you consider the computer, extra RAM, screen calibrators, inkjet printer, color management software, photoshop software, and the cost of keeping current with the latest software releases you can easily spend $4000 to $6000. After 2-3 years most of the equipment you have will be obsolete and have almost no resale value. It will be cost prohibitive for you to stay current with the hardware. Then there is the cost of making a print. I believe an inkjet print is about LOT more expensive to make then a traditional photographic print.

Used 4x5 enlargers on ebay are very cheap. I saw a Durts Laborator S-45 on ebay for $425 with the buy now option. Most 4x5 enlargers can make 20x24 prints or bigger. To complete with this in digital you would have to buy one of the big 20" plus inkjet printers which are not cheap. A Jobo CPP-2 which can do up to 20x24 color prints and film is selling on ebay for about $600 to $900. I suspect you could put together an excellent traditional color dark room for about $2000 - $2500 buying used on ebay. I can make a 16x20 color print in my darkroom for less than $2 including chemistry and using Fuji Crystal Archive paper. I believe the cost for a 16x20 digital print is around $10 - $14. Inkjet ink and paper is not cheap.

The bottom line is digital is just a lot more expensive then using traditional darkroom methods. So if money is your concern than go traditional for sure.

4x5, is it worth it?

Digital was invented for planned FAST obsolesence. You will go broke. The ones who will make money are equipment manufactures. If you decide to get a new computer, you will find the scanning software and printing software will not match the latest microsoft system. You may or may not find upgraded software on line.

A printer will pay for itself if you make a lot of prints before it goes obsolete. Otherwise factor in the cost of the printer to each print and you will see why it is expensive.

I am ready to recommend people scan the color negs, do the photoshop as required, and file transfer the program to a good pro lab to have the print made. I have had SUPERB luck doing this with a local lab. You get to do the creativity with photoshop, burn dodge, add textures etc, and the print matches exactly.

Stay away from the locals that use commercial paper. Use a pro lab that prints on profesional portrait paper. Kodak has a list of their qualified Q labs on their site. I use AIprolab.com. All they care about is quality. Price is a little high, delivery a bit slow, but you will love the results.
    My local Ritz sometimes gets a print file if I`m in a hurry. You get a print fast, cheap, reasonable quality, but contrasy because of the commercial paper they use. Reduce contrast in photoshop before sending a file to one of these.

Now you do 4x5 and have anyone process the print. How can you beat that?