Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cases for Photo Gear

Cases for Photo Gear

I'm thinking about getting some cases for photo gear, and I'm considering Pellican. I like their idea of hard plastic that's waterproof with replaceable O-rings. They have padded inserts that are flexible for holding a lot of different types of gear, lenses, etc. Their gear can also be locked for airline travel.

I don't know much about cases. Is this good quality stuff? Does it break easily? Can it handle heavy gear, like a couple of Dyna-lite M2000 power packs? (I would use some padding with the power packs.) I'm wondering about other photographers' experiences with Pellican cases.

Cases for Photo Gear

Unless it is "carry on", it is not supposed to be locked. TSA has to be able to open and inspect, and if locked, they may break the lock.

Cases for Photo Gear

I have Pelican and Lightware and I much prefer the Lightware cases. less deadweight and more protection for my gear: I use Lightware cases for lighting, grip and cameras. The downside is that I can't stand on them the way I can with a Pelican, Anvil or Zarges cases. If you can find Zargs cases those are a better choice than the Pelicans as well. My oldest Lightwar cases go back about 21 years. I've replaced a Pelcian or two in the less than 10 years time I've owned them.

http://lightwareinc.com/site/index.cfm

Cases for Photo Gear

Neil,

See my post yesterday about bags but the concentrationt here is flexible bags which are sturdy and padded but not bombproof or hard sided such as the Pelican. My general feeling is that,of those readily available in the US Pelican gives you good protection for the dollar. There are some other choices which you should consider though:

1) Rimowa Tropicana cases ... no longer imported by HP Marketing Corp. (not sure if they are still made) but IMO the solidest cases ever made for photo gear and possibly also the heaviest.

2) Amabilia ... Bogen is the US impoerter or was and these too may no longer be made but nearly as good as Rimowa and in the same price ball park.

3) Porter Case .. a real marvel but only available in one or two sizes. Sturdy and airline carryone size. I once had mine filled with 8x10 gear and United made me check it ... it was fine.

4) Zero Halliburton ... solid but IMO not in the same class as the others above,also much less expensive (BTW I have one of these for sale .. contact me offlist for details if you are interested).

5) Used ATA rated cases such as those made by Anvil. Most cases of this type are custom made for something else so you often need to do some work to get the inside the way you want it. When you do they are as bombproof as Rimowa Tropicana cases and waterproof, etc. as long as thy were not abused by the previous owner. Often very,very heavy. I have one that I use to transport a Horseman monorail system when I have to and the case alone weighs some 20 lbs.

Cases for Photo Gear

I have a Pelican 1660 that came with the Pick-and-Pluck foam. It's a pretty large case about 30" long, 20" wide and 20" deep. The outside of this case has tons of scratches and nicks but it still seals well. It has held up to dropping and dragging from airlines around the world and my gear has never been damaged. It saved my gear when a wave came into the open back of a fishing boat off of Molakai. Overall it is a very tough case offering great protection. However, the weight of the case and foam alone is significant. It probably weighs 40lbs empty and with equipment inside it usually exceeds airline weight restrictions so you have to pay the $50 or 75$ oversize luggage fee.

Beware: after you pluck out the foam to make holes for your gear you need to vacuum inside the foam because there will be a lot of foam dust. The foam dust builds up over time from vibrations so you will need to periodically vacuum. For long trips, I put dust sensitive gear in plastic garbage bags inside the foam holes to protect from the foam dust.

A bonus to the 1660 is that it is the perfect height to stand up boxes of Quickloads in the case. I usually include a row or two of Quickloads along one side of the case insead of the extra foam. Security has always been great about not x-raying the film even when it is in checked luggage. I just include 3 sheets of Polaroid Type 53 at perpendicular angles (because I don't know the angle they might x-ray it from) and shoot and develop it when I arrive to ensure that my film hasn't been x-rayed.

Cases for Photo Gear

Take alook at StormCase page. I have both Pelican and StormCase. StormCAse is just as durable but has much easier to operate latches.

Cases for Photo Gear

I've used Pelican 1600 with the dividers for over 10 years with no problems other than surface scratches. I just bought a newer one, and it is much improved (hinges, handles, etc). The best case/protection for the money.

Cases for Photo Gear

I have an Eddie Bauer duffle that set me back about forty bucks. It holds 8 5x7 film holders in anti-static ziplock bags, an extra lens mounted on a Toyo board, two cable releases, a spotmeter, six filters, a notebook and pencil and is still easy to sling over my shoulder.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Cases for Photo Gear

Ted, the Rimowa Tropicana is still made, see:

www.rimowa.de/index_int.asp?spr=Amerika

There is a list of US dealers on their web site, too.

Cases for Photo Gear

To piggyback on Neil's question -- is there a Pelican case that could handle a Sinar F-1?