Thread: Sinar Focusing (Beating a horse dead)

Sinar Focusing (Beating a horse dead)

All,
    After exhausting the search feature, I am asking anew. I currently have a Sinar F2, and am trying to figure out the focusing/DOF calculators. This is what I know:

1)I understand and have successfully used the DOF calculator on the right side of the camera.

2)I understand the knob on the left of the camera with regard to tilts, and the usage of the dashed top and bottom line on the camera's GG

Now for what I don't understand/not sure of:

Can the left side knob also be used for swings, the same way that it is used for tilts ? What use do the pointers (which are mounted on the sliding portion of the standard) have when they refer to a various number (which is on the rail clamp portion of the standard). Lastly, any other feature which I have neglected to mention ?

Thanks in advance,

Steve,

The short answer to your swing question is yes.
    Here is the longer answer:
    Looking at an old Sinar Catalog , this is what they outline for Swings on the F1/F2 camera.
    1. Focus on right-hand vertical dotted line on the GG.
    2. Zero the angle calculator on the left side of standard by turning until the O lines up to white mark.
    3. Focus on the left-hand vertical dotted line on the GG using the fine focus. The angle calculator will indicate the degree of swing.
    4. Set the front standard swing to angle on the dial.
    5. Adjust focus if necessary.
    Call Sinar Bron customer service at (908) 754-5800 and request a catalog. There should be a couple of pages in the catalog outlining the steps for calculating swings, tilts, and depth of field.
    These are great cameras, enjoy shooting with it.

Scott gave you the correct procedure. The only addition is that Sinar says if you are using both swings and tilts, set the tilt first and the swing second.

The pointer on the side used to be used on the f and f+ as the indicator of how many degress to swing and tilt. This function has been replaced on the f1 and f2 with the rotating dial. Now, the pointer indicates how many mm you have moved the standard in focussing.

Gotcha. Great Guys, thanks a lot !

Actually...I do have one more question.
    After you have the tilt figured out...Do you then focus back to the zero reading, or do you leave the focus where it is at, zero the dial, then figure out your swing ?
    Then once the swing is calculated, do you leave the focus setting where its at, or refocus everything ? Sorry, I know it sounds confusing...

Steve:
    Q-Tuan Luong gives a very comprehensive account of the Scheimpflug rule on this site, 'How to Focus The View Camera' It applies to any view camera.
    Well worth a read and perhaps even a save. Stan. L-B

Actually, Steve, if you apply the tilt as indicated by the dial, you will go out of focus because of the base tilt setup of the Sinar. (By tilting forward, you are moving the lens farther from the film plane and thus out of focus.) I usually slide the entire front standard backwards until I am back in focus. Then, I zero the dial and repeat the process for swings.

All,
    Thanks for the help. I got it figured out now....I think the comment by Mr. Flynn is the reason for the dual focusing setup on my F2. Just had it out (froze my hands numb), and gave everything a shot. We'll see how it worked out once I develop the negs.

Thanks again.