Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Color Film Sources - Early Spring Coming!

Color Film Sources - Early Spring Coming!

While certainly color film is in production, it's looking like the days of just walking into the local pro shop to get a couple of boxes of 8x10 color film are at an end in my small market of Greater Los Angeles. This seems to indicate a needed change in logistics for me as well as anyone doing some color 8x10 shooting. My regular store, Samy's, has no plans to stock much of any 8x10 color in the future, certainly not Velvia, and perhaps not Provia. B&H listings are drying up too. And Freestyle has no listings at all for color 8x10. Calumet looks like EPP only, maybe. There are other stores, however their web sites don't seem to indicate whether anything is actually in stock or not, so who knows.

Provia 100F and Kodak EPP seem easy enough to get, although the Provia supply seems a bit limited around town. My trouble is that I really like Velvia 100 and even 100F sometimes for certain kinds of shots. At this point, it is a special order item, with the spector of 20+ box orders needed for Velvia 100. Calumet does not stock much 8x10, so that leaves about one store in Los Angeles for large format color film. A special order from this store takes weeks, not days, with no promises. I may need to find 4 or so other photographers who shoot 8x10 color to group an order together, with the hope of having enough film for early spring.

Two questions -

1 Anyone know of quick and decent procurement options for Velvia 100 and Velvia 100F films in 8x10 sheet right away? 2. Anyone interested in doing a group order of one or both of these emulsions?

Also, other emulsions, even in B&W seem to come and go now. JandC is waiting to get more Efke PL25 adn PL100, with the hope of it being here in a couple of weeks. It seems that anyone desiring to shoot in the late Winter through Spring season should order more and earlier than usual. So far, Ilford availability looks pretty good around town though.

I'm wondering if it will soon be necessary to incorporate a small film purchasing consortium / non profit to keep supplies of film and aggregate purchasing power in the near future.

What did Badger Graphic have to say?

Bruce Watson

I purchased some recently expired Provia 8x10 (this month to be exact) from Samy's at 50% off. So right now I've got 150 sheets in the freezer. But I would love to get some Velvia. When I spoke with Felix at Samy's - he's the guy who orders and stocks the film - he told me about an order he placed back in September for some photographer in Oregon (or thereabouts) and it still hasn't come in. So I'm not sure what's up with that. I did tell him that if it ever came in to call me ASAP.

At any rate, I want Velvia as well. So count me in.

Mike
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com
    Instagram: @mikebodenphoto

My Samy's rep said that special orders could have expedited shipping if I'm willing to pay for it. I'm pretty willing at this point, especially if it is just one large shipment of film. What I have in mind, unless someone else has a better idea ( speak up! ) is to collect a half-dozen people together that want 2-4 boxes each, and then with everyone's permission, just have Samy's split up the order between everyone. You can email me privately with your contact info and how many boxes of 10 or 50 sheet you are ready to purchase. I can simply present it to Samy's. I doubt that we'll get any significant price break though, however at least perhaps with a nice sizable order like that, we'll get it pronto enough for emulsion / processing tests, the last of Winter and the start of Spring.

Again - any other options / ideas very welcome, especially anything that could save a little money if that doesn't jepordize the delivery schedule.

While I did not call them, Badger's Internet site said this when I clicked on
    the menu:

<br/>
    SHOPPING CART ERROR<br/>
    Unable to connect to SQL server.<br/>
    <hr width=75% size=1 height=1 align="left" color="">

The above message is just the sort of thing I was talking about with people's web sites at camera suppliers these days. Too bad that more people don't realize how important an up-to-date and functional web site with pricing and stock info can be to make sales.

If all else fails, you may want to try contacting your local Fuji rep. I was in a similar situation about a year ago when I was looking for some Velvia Classic in 8x10. I couldn't find anybody that had any in stock (in spite of what it said on their web site). My local Fuji guy (Gary Scott) tracked some down and had it shipped to the local dealer of my choice. I had all the 8x10 Velvia I wanted less than a week after I placed the call.

Kerry

I buy Velvia 8x10 ISO50 now in Japan. But only get one box at a time.

Likewise it's been almost impossible to find the new Fuji Astia in stock anywhere since it came out. I had some back-ordered from one stockist and it just never ever showed up.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Though I would add colour neg seems a lot easier to find in stock than transparency
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Ed, the Badger web site has been having problems today. I ordered through it successfully on Friday and received my item today.

Don't give up on them because of that. If you would otherwise consider purchasing from them, give them a call or send them an email and give them a chance to earn your business.

PS - the usual disclaimer applies - I don't have any connection to Badger other than as a satisfied customer. It's just that when I went to look at their website earlier today and saw how messed up it was, I couldn't help thinking about how frustrating it must be to be in business and have your customers unable to reach you through your main portal.