16 10.32%
  • Portland, OR

46 29.68%
  • Albuquerque/Santa Fe, NM

23 14.84%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: View Camera conference

View Camera conference

View Camera is putting on its 4th Large Format Photo Conference this year in Rockford, IL. The dates are June 9-11 for the conference but we are also scheduling activities for the 8th of June as well.

We will be doing more hands on activities this year including a wet plate workshop all day on the 8th, an all day field trip to the Il. State RR Museum on the 8th, a portrait and figure workshop the morning of the 9th, a Ziatype workshop the morning of the 9th, and a scanning workshop the morning of the 11th.

We are updating the program on our web site

www.viewcamera.com

as we get more specific info

There will also be a trade show (free admission) the afternoon of the 9th, all day on the 10th, and on the 11th.

It is important that we all support this effort. Last year's conference helped encourage Ilford to make their current ULF film offering so companies look to this conference to see what is happening in the large format community.

steve simmons

View Camera conference

Count me in as always. This is one of the events every year that I look forward to the most.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

View Camera conference

Conflict of interest disclaimer: I write for View Camera and will be presenting at the conference in Rockford.

That said, I'd really like to encourage people to attend this conference. I have been fortunate enough to have been invited to present at the last three conferences and have enjoyed each one immensely. In addition to all the worthwhile presentations, the conference is just a great place to hang out and chat with other largef format photographers. It's a great place to network, meet new people, catch up with old friends, see some fantastic work, check out the latest equipment, and just plain have fun. Moving the location of the conference every year is a great idea. At each conference I've been able to meet, in person, several people I have known only online for years.

The trade show is also the best place I know of to see a wide variety of large format equipment. With many of the top large format equipment dealers and several manufacturers present, the trade show is the place to be if you're in the market for a new (or used) large format camera. It's the perfect place to see and fondle a wide variety of cameras and other LF gear before shelling out your hard earned dollars. Equipment reviews and the opinions of others can be helpful, but there is no substitute to a hands-on evaluation to determine if a camera, tripod or other peice of gear is right for you. It's also your chance to provide feedback to dealers, distributors and manufacturers on their products and what new and improved products you'd like to see.

I hope to see many of you there.

Kerry

View Camera conference

I'll be at the APUG conference in May.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

View Camera conference

A conflict of interest disclaimer from me as well as I also write for View Camera and will be presenting at the conference.

I echo everything Kerry said above and want to add a few things. With a bow in Steve's direction for thinking hard on how to make the conference better and more hands-on, Kerry and I and others have made a number of suggestions to Steve on ways to change and improve the conference. I think the workshops that are being offered this year are exciting, offer something for a wide variety of interests and are a real opportunity for small group hands-on work that you don’t usually find at a conference such as this. As for the pricing of these sessions, I understand that the final pricing will be $100 for the full day workshop and $75 for each of the half day workshops and that there may be some discounts for those signing up for multiple workshops. Contact me offlist and I’ll be happy to answer any questions I can on the Portrait & Figure and Scanning workshops.

Regardless of your area of interest I think you will find the conference exciting and energizing. I look forward to seeing folks there and putting more faces to the names familiar from this and other online groups.

Ted

View Camera conference

I'll be there. Seeing as how I live about 45 minutes from Rockford, how can I not? I've never been to a Large Format Conference and am really looking forward to going.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

View Camera conference

I should offer the same disclaimer as Kerry and Ted about my relationship with VC. What great company! Join us. I will be presenting on topics including my specialty Architectural Photography with (we think) one of the luminaries from Hedrich Blessing.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

View Camera conference

When I heard last year the conference was going to be held in Chicago I was excited. This will be my first, but I can't tell you what a drag it was when I read it is going to be in Rockford. With so many places in the Chicagoland area why Rockford? Ninety miles from Chicago. I'm sure I'll get some heat about my rant so I'll just say I'll be there...but Rockford!

View Camera conference

If I had done the conference in Chicago it would be much more expensive.

steve

View Camera conference

I loved last year's conference and I'm looking forward to Rockford.