Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New article by Stan. Laurenson-Batten: SH 612 Multi-format Roll Film Holder

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New article by Stan. Laurenson-Batten: SH 612 Multi-format Roll Film Holder

A new article by Stan. Laurenson-Batten has been published:
    Shen Hao SH612 Multi-format roll-film back. Please feel free to leave any constructive comments in this thread.

Hi, I have also used the Shen Hao SH612 Rollfilm holder for shooting 6x12 frames. And I recognize everything you say in your article. Especially the problem of reading the film number in the red window (requires a small flashlight when light is low) and also the fogging.

To avoid fogging it is important NOT to remove the darkslide completely. If removed the light will pass right into the film. I have made markings on the slide so that I know when to stop pulling it... for 6x12 there is not much of the slide left in the holder. (I'm probably not the only one who by reflex will pull the slide completely when the right light enters the scenery...)

It is also important to remember to read the frames 1, 3, 5, ..11, for 6x12. (Some people claim you should read 2, 4, 6, but this is wrong since the last picture will be cut)

I also store the filmholder in a small box so that slide does not get pulled out accidently when moving around and make sure not to hold it by the slide.

Overall, I love the pictures from this holder when I get it right!!

Patrik Roséen

Which model is this? The comment on the poorly made casting makes me think it's the older one. He mentions changing formats my calculating something? On mine you just change the mask on the front and start using the new numbers. Assuming you aren't in mid frame no calculating needed. I haven't had any fogging problems. Maybe I'm just lucky.

If it matters I'll look up my model number later.

BTW On Apug we've being trying to encourage Ilford to make the numbers easier to read.

Hi Guys

I've been using a Shen Hao 6x12 back for approx. 12 months with no problems at all. Mine is the earlier one with the pressed steel clips to hold the back closed, and it came with the 6x9 mask only.

I check it after every trip in the field to make sure nothing has come loose, and, to date, all's been well. No bits dropping off, no light leaks, no problems reading the film frame numbers etc. All in all, it's been well worth the money.

I would assume that their quality checking prcedures are not the best, and that a few 'Friday afternoon jobs' will slip through. A bit like Kiev cameras!

Steve Lewis

www.landscapesofwales.co.uk

For the other users...is it really only 6X11?
    That would be pretty crappy to not get the long side in full. Is it still a 2:1 ratio of something like 5.6: 11.2?

I have the SH612-BC. I'm not sure if everybody is talking about the same model. The opening on mine is:

54mmX110mm

I think we are talking about the same model. Mine is also 55x110mm opening. One more remark about linear fogging that occasionally shows up. I have examined the 'light-blocker' where the dark-slide is inserted and found a quite simple device with black cloth on the side facing the slide and some thin metal 'legs' which is funtioning like a spring. But this is only on one side of the slide on the other side its only the metal frame itself. When I received my holder the 'legs' where not spread wide enough to block the light and I have therefor increased the tension by spreading them further. I still do not trust it enough to remove the darkslide completely.

Thanks for your feed back.
    I think it necessary to add that any fogging that did occur was entirely from the missing screws. Since the missing screws were fitted there has been no problems with fogging, with or without the complete removal of the dark slide.

The calibration method I use is to compensate for the lack of clearness of the frame numbers in the red window.

My model reference is: SH 612 -B: - no 'C' - Unable to find any serial number which I am a little concerned about, I suppose to stamp one on adds to the final cost of the product!

As I said, it does the job after my full dock-yard re-fit, but in fairness should be called SH 611.....

Maybe if you could find a 6x6 camera that actually exposed 6x6. What's the exposed area on a hasselblad? It's still a 6x6. Multiply it be 2 and you get?