Thread: Tachihara Ultra Wide 8x10

Tachihara Ultra Wide 8x10

I saw this guy listed at mpex, could not find any other reference to it via google. Has anyone seen, touched, or used this thing?

Shooting in urban settings, I use a lot of rise, and find myself running out of bellows flexibility, and also encountering vignetting, when using my new 159mm Wollensack with my traditionally spec'ed Wehman. This Tachihara might be just the ticket, if it has as much rise capability as I think it does/should.

Other suggestions in re: 8x10 architectural options are welcome. Transport not an issue, this is strictly for car-side shooting.

Found the manufacturer's web page for it...

www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~tachi-ss/superwedo8x10.html

...but no specifications! Nor is this model listed in the 2005 Nippon Camera annual. You may need to call Jim at MPEX to get the details.

Although the bellows on this "Wide" model is obviously shorter than the other Tachihara models, it's still a pleated bellows. As such, it might not offer the flexibility one would need for very-wide lenses. The old mpex.com site had a nice Tachi spec page, but that seems to have been dropped in their new site design.

Having a similar issue with my double-extension Tachi and a 150mm SSXL, I've considered trying to make the bellows interchangeable, and using a bag bellows. But, I haven't gone beyond the casual daydream stage. A "bargain" Sinar with a bag bellows might be a more reliable solution.

CXC - how much rise do you need with the Wolly?

only get about 1 1/2" or so max I think at f45

As long as I remeber to hook up the bellows and double check through the corners, I get no bellows cutoff with the Phillips - same with my 165 SA with a bigger image circle

The Bellows on the Phillips are very soft and flexible though.

Does the Wehman let you "hook" the bellows up a bit a shorter focal lengths? If not, you could rig something up
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Oren, thanks for the info, too bad it is incomplete.

Ralph, there is a wood-on-wood slide rise mechanism built into the front standard, so you get some amount of rise (probably a goodly amount) without having to workout the bellows.

Ralph, I have an old Sinar P 4x5 that I wouldn't mind converting to 8x10. Rear conversions on ePay are pricey but within range, but I have yet to see a used Sinar 8x1o bag bellows. B&H lists it new at >$1K: gulp. Maybe it makes sense to get one made?

Timothy, yes there is a hook, but it isn't really adequate, I have to push the bottom of the bellows forward, hard, on both sides to minimize the vignetting. The 30" max bellows naturally is less flexible than the shorter Phillips bellows.

For the sake of completeness, let me wrap up this thread with the info that this camera has 45mm of rise, which was half or less than I expected.